Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Gaming and a Wireless College Connection

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.

Question Online Gaming and a Wireless College Connection

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but my problem is that I can't get the game World of Warcraft working at my new college. I assumed only that there might be a firewall of some sort coming with the connection. Everytime I log in or my friend logs in, the game will run normally for about 1 minute.. then all hell breaks loose and my character dies from the latency being changed from the normal 200 ms or so to the 25000 ms I'm seeing today. Any action at all takes about a minute to respond. I really don't think it's anything on my end since my laptop works fine with the internet cord I plug into it at home. They have this wierd log in to their wireless connection thing, where you have to start up your explorer and log in. Sometimes it takes a few start ups for the link to if go to the log in.

The wierd thing is, I was playing just fine on the first day I moved in. The game worked perfectly. Could they have perhaps found I was playing it and somehow messed with my computer so it wouldn't work? I should say surfing the web, internet explorer and everything, still works just fine. I'm just wondering, is there anyway to bypass this firewall or whatever it is? Or am I never to see my orc rogue pwn a gnome again? Just ask if you need more info.

P.S. My friends told me that some students from the college in my hometown had to install Linux in order to be able to play WoW. Perhaps that?
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

it is possible that they have noticed the WoW traffic and blocked it, however unless there was something in the contract when you signed up for internet access saying "no gaming" I doubt it.

Since I lack all faith in wireless networks and you say it worked fine day one, I wonder if its simply a matter of traffic. As in - now more people have moved in and set up the load on the wireless is a lot greater causing you problems.

I can't think of any software that would take a minute to kick in and then only make the connection hell rather than just breaking it completely.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Yeah..I get the same problem in my College with F.E.A.R though. I have 10 ping one second, the next I have 3325..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hmmmmm,

This is disturbing, as it seems that the USA is breeding a nation of faggots?

Children, your parents pay for your sorry arses to go to university to study... or at least to play "foosball"............ or to plain get laid?

Computer games............. ack phtt!

Ninja Code Monkey
    What's wrong with computer games?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

What's wrong with computer games?
    Errrr................. I think Godly Soup has found something?

OK, GS~ I think that you need to do a bit of research? I do not suspect that it is a firewall or administrator thing............ they would just block the traffic totally. This really does seem like a capacity and performance issue to me.

I think that we can rule out your kit and software installation as it works fine elsewhere and did when you first arrived?

I guess I would try connecting from different locations on the campus............. may be a problem with your local spur?

Also, try it at different times of the day..............is the performance different?

As you are at a college, I would expect that there is some sort of computer gaming club or society? I would try contacting them as a starter.

I cannot think of a reason why booting Linux would help other than by accident. There might be some sort of Windows conflict that would avoid?

I don't think that "they" have done anything to your machine............. that sounds kinda illegal to me?

On which note:

Or am I never to see my orc rogue pwn a gnome again?
    Slavery is also illegal..................

Good luck............and I would try checking out guys who have been at your college for a year or two.
    Last edited by nihil; September 2nd, 2007 at 11:46 AM.

the only thing I could think of is maybe Bandwidth throttling or packet shaping? My ISP does that with torrent traffic. They pretend like they don't (I do support for there commercial clients). I think its because if they block the traffic it makes them look bad. If its so slow that no one can use it then they can skirt the issue.

also, newsgroups killed the torrent star.
    meh. -ech0.

Hmmmm,

I can see what you are saying ech0, but this is a college, and I don't think that college admins are that subtle? ................... they don't have to be

Smile

At the university that i work at, we puroposly block most online gaming ports.
    It's in the contract that a student signs for there internet access.
    {Legal issues mainly.}

We come across a few rogue students whom stumble onto new ways to get access to there damned WoW accounts, but we sooner or latter catch on and stop them.

Maybe check with the IT dep and see if they are blocking or have done something to stop certain traffic from happening.

It's best to do it that way, then to try to find a work around only to get pwned by the Ring masters whom give you your access.

I'm curious, what kind of legal issues? We didn't sign any internet access contract or anything basically. I can play CS:S fine (at night when all the internet users are asleep). I'll try to get in touch with my IT dept though.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!