Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does my motherboard support 1 GB?

Hey IKnowNot

The memtest thing didnt ask me anything, it just loaded at boot time and started showing me the @ABCD thing...I mentioned earlier. And, I had no clue about the thing...so, I used the SIW suggested by tdezarn.

Just needed a clarification, when u said this:

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowNot

I did a little googling of my own, and found a suggestion that the S4020IL uses the FIC am37 motherboard . Perhaps codenamevirus can examine the board and compare it to the am37.
    Do you want me to check my motherboard against these specs?? or Were u telling me that AM37 is the motherboard my machine uses??

Coz most of the specs matched the hardware config in there....like 4 PCI slots, 1 AGP, etc. But, if AM37 is the thing, I use....I am getting another 1 GB chip....after all, it can support 2GB of memory....lol!!
    CodeNameVirus

FIC Motherboard? Ouch! The Wolfman ain't feelin' the groove from the FIC.
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!
    The Wolfman's Homepage: http://www.fangtastic.org
    Do you dig the Wolfman?? Sign his Ghoulbook or listen to him Howl

Not telling, but providing the info so you could check.

The board may have the manufacturer’s name and model number on it, but you should pay particular attention to the North and South Bridge chip numbers; see if they are the same. If your chipset supports 2Gb, and you memtest says they work, I guess ...
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowNot
    Not telling, but providing the info so you could check.

The board may have the manufacturer’s name and model number on it, but you should pay particular attention to the North and South Bridge chip numbers; see if they are the same. If your chipset supports 2Gb, and you memtest says they work, I guess ...
    Thats better!

I'll check the motherboard with the info soon....but tell me how to check the north & south bridge numbers.....are they mentioned in the pdf file...I got from your link? and how would I find it on the motherboard I have??

It may sound a stupid ques....but i aint a hardware guy at all....somethings i know.....but i dont know many things!!

And, as far as memtest is concerned....I hav no idea....whether it was working or it just got stuck in somewhere....I wont mind trying it again....but tell me the exact process!
    Last edited by codenamevirus; September 7th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
    CodeNameVirus

You should be able to locate the chips on the motherboard from the .pdf .. the location and layout should be identical. ( if it is not, it is probably not the same board. )
    The chips themselves should have the numbers on them. While you are looking it is probably a good time to clean the inside of that machine.

As for memtest, looking closer at your post I figured out why you are having problems: according to the support page, you have a read error of your floppy drive. They suggest either formatting and re-writing the floppy, or try a new floppy.

If you have an old Linux Distro lying around, most have memtest on the first disk. Boot to the first install disk, then you will either get a menu ( like Suse, Ubuntu ) to select memtest, or at the boot prompt ( like Fedora Core 6 and earlier RH type Distros ) type memtest ( don’t let it time out. )

( JUST A SIDE NOTE: I have not been able to get memtest to work from Fedora 7 install disk: I can’t even find it, although it is still in their documentation. )

Hope this helps.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I can get a live cd from a fren of mine....i think its ubuntu...will it work from it??? what will be the steps in that case?
    CodeNameVirus

Hmmmm,

What did SIW tell you about the memory and the make/model of motherboard? The MoBo info might be an HP/Compaq part number. "salsa"?

I have checked a few memory vendors and they all say a maximum of 2 x 512Mb strips.

Here is another diagnostics tool:

http://www.auslogics.com/system-information/index.php

You might also look in the BIOS.

Here are some memory testing tools:

http://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/ram+test

I am not too sure what to expect. In the past I have seen the strips not recognised or recognised as the largest supported value.

In common with other OEMs HP/Compaq are prone to change components so you may have the FIC am37 board. It will say "AM37" on the board between the AGP and PCI slots:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bph07941
    Last edited by nihil; September 8th, 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Something that appears to have been ignored was the question of "mixed sized memory"

Mixed memory can include:

Memory of only differnt size (MB)
    Memory of differnt format (Single and double sided)
    Memory of differnt speed (PC2700 & PC3200)
    Memory of differnt brand
    Memory from differnt batches

ALL of the above have given problems..not immediatly BUT always eventually 1 month, 1 year, 3 years.. the first 3 have been the most problematic.. I have, after 3 years had A problem with matched memory.. more than 1 stick yes with wind-blowz expect to have a problem sometime
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Undies~ I did look at the PC spec. and it is quite strange.

They specifically say that it will support 128, 256 and 512 in mixed strips. They also say that it will handle mixed PC2100 and PC2700, but it will all run at PC2100 (as we know )

That really did surprise me coming from a major brand name as they normally advise against anything that might generate a helpdesk call.

I must say that I have never had problems with memory of different sizes, brands or batches, provided of course it didn't have to be installed in matched pairs. Mind you, I use Crucial or Kingston which are both reasonable quality............ some of this no name generic stuff I would certainly have doubts about.

I certainly wouldn't use different speeds, as that has to be inefficient by definition, and I would say unstable as well.

I am also careful to match the clock latency (CL)

I guess the worst things I have seen have been people mixing lead and silver/tin contacts with the old 72 pin EDO RAM.