Thread: Microsoft FoxPro???

Microsoft FoxPro???

Hi Everyone

That's been a long time since I posted on this forum, but you lot a too fast to reply, and by the time I get anywhere, I just end up reading your arguments on the best way of puting a dot in the end of the sentence

But back to my question.

I just started to work in a new company and they are using Microsoft FoxPro. Could anyone drop me a link to anywhere with more comprehencive info on the program, cause the one's I found so far are crap.

And also I am trying to understand. Is it a database in it's own right, or is it just a fancy front end for MS Sequel Server?

Cheers
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

AOs Resident Troll
    AFAIK.....its a database in its own right....developers use it to develop applications...usually for small business etc...

What version of foxpro??

Tables can be opened with access\excel....however I always make a copy of the database and then play with the copy...hitting\opening a live foxpro database with access...can and will corrupt the indexes....

We are running an older MRP application that is Foxpro....developed for small businesses....also have worked with a retail foxpro application.........we have developed external reporting using access and crystal reports to get the data we want as the internal reporting is slow and the reports are pretty well garbage.

Network printing sucks...but I believe they have fixed that with the later versions also.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks alot, that cleared up a few points for me

Guess I'll just have to play around with it a bit more to get all the workings right

I don't know what release of Fox pro, but take a look at msdn.microsoft.com.

For example, here is for Visual Fox Pro 7.0 http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190279.aspx
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

FoxPro is interesting because it is also a programming language.

I haven't used it since 486/PI days but it used to be capable of pretty sophisticated data manipulation although the reporting capabilities were its weak point.

Back then we used Borland Delphi for heavy duty number crunching and FoxPro for more fancy stuff on the results that Delphi produced. Crystal Reports was used for the end user products.

It isn't really an end users tool like Excel, Access and Lotus 1-2-3, unless they are real "power users"

And so far I can say that I'd rather use MS SQL Server. Don't think MySQL would be up to the task. Or Oracle sounds nice as well At least they use SQL and I don't have to relearn