Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pirated Vista -- A darkness descends!

You know I've been using Linux for .... well a while, and the only time I ever say it actually crash was when I took out a floppy and forgot about it and tried to use it. Even then the system didn't crash, I just saw a dump and was amazed I actually got the thing to crash.

Getting apps to crash si easy but getting Linux to crash takes real talent.

One of my machines was up for 200 days straight and I was using it as a DESKTOP, KDE loaded, a P3 733 MHz 384 MBs RAM, burning CDs, using it for everything, all patches installed including Kernel (You don't have to reboot unless you want to actually USE the new Kernel) and I would open like 30 tabs in Firefox daily to check stuff, and didn't have a problem other than the occasional firefox crash.

And even when firefox got screwed up bad enough rm -rf /home/gore/.mozilla took care of that, launched it again and all was well.

In other words, I didn't ever need a reboot, maybe just an application refreshed once in a while.

I will say this though, I did once in a while refresh X by doing ALT+CTL+Backspace just to refresh it. But in almost a year of uptime, the machine not once crashed.

200 days? Do you sleep ? and hey, I just pressed ALT + CTRL + BCKSPACE and it logged me out (actually it did not properly log out, just closed all my processes at once and threw me at the GUI login window).

Does refreshing X makes you log out, or is it an unwanted behavior?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

No patches required a reboot?

I don't think he misses sleep jockey0109. He falls into this category of people who leave their computers on while they go on two week holidays even, because they can't bear to see if anyone in an irc channel talks about them and they're trying to get into pole position in the tor server uptime stats.

While I might leave my PC on overnight, I don't honestly see the point in wasting electricity and being so environment unfriendly as to leave it on for weeks/months at a time I'm not even there.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    No patches required a reboot?

I don't think he misses sleep jockey0109. He falls into this category of people who leave their computers on while they go on two week holidays even, because they can't bear to see if anyone in an irc channel talks about them and they're trying to get into pole position in the tor server uptime stats.

While I might leave my PC on overnight, I don't honestly see the point in wasting electricity and being so environment unfriendly as to leave it on for weeks/months at a time I'm not even there.
    I don't go on Holiday, I used it every day, and I wasn't on IRC very often as I have IM apps too so that wasn't it, and I didn't ever upload my uptime stats other than a screen shot because some people were whining about stability of the version of SUSE I was using at the time on a mailing list, so I took that pic and showed it, and told what I did each day with the machine which was in other words a nicer way of saying to them to shut up as it was obviously stable.

And people talk about me on IRC all the time from what I hear, I wouldn't know, I only leave IRSSI installed because it's cool and once in a while I hop on to say hi.

So none of those reason apply to me in a serious manner, which I don't think you made that post in

The electric part, well, you weren't here during the times this was going on and on, but we used to have these things called trolls, and I would be awake some days from like 7 AM to 12 PM the next day, sleep 10 hours, wake up at 10 PM, be up all night... So turning the machine off really wasn't needed, I would be using it at any given time during the week so leaving it on was easier.

And also while I was asleep, the machine was running what I told it to run when it was idle for more than an hour like scripts I had set to try and crack my password file to make sure it was secure, to a complete port scan, check /tmp and /etc to see if anyone was trying to backdoor me and watch file integrity. Then it would email all of the results to the root account, and my ISP account so I could look at it and make sure the box was locked down properly.

And also, I'd from time to time set up a web or FTP server on it and let people download stuff from me while I slept.

As for patches and rebooting, as I said the only ones you need to reboot for are Kernel patches and even then, you only need to reboot to use a NEW Kernel, patches themselves, you can restart parts of the Kernel and go on without rebooting after even a Kernel patch. So no, no patches needed me to reboot it.

great gore! I never thought a computer could be used that way and that usabliy! Now that you have told me, I can try that too, but me porr chap I do not have 24 hours electricity dood! This sucks the day big!

Anyway what about that X windows server? Does that behavior of refreshing X means that the whole X window system will restart (or better call it reste as the normal procedure of shutting the X off was not followed)!

Now, I got something interesting up this morning. I was just testing one of the teqniques described by phishphreek (i hope you know hin ). So I used th trick of testing Windows XP to run a particular comand under SYSTEM account priviledges. So, I was jus tryuing to get to the trminal no 1 of my Linux (tty1). I pressed [Alt]+[Ctrl]+[f1] and after doing something there, i just wanted to go back to the GUI and by mistake I pressed the f8 button with alt and ctrl down. That showed me the VMWARE terminal where Windows XP was running.

SO VMware runs the first VM on that terminal? Or am I wrong.

PS: I am sorry, I thought you were another computer and just did not need any sleep (as many don't)!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

ALT CTRL Backspace kills X and makes it restart basically refreshing the server itself. In other words if it's starting to use up resources or getting slow, that generally does the trick.

Has nobody else tried running programs in win 3.11 in winXPpro? I have an old harddrive with win3.11 installed, and I put this as slave, and my winXPpro drive as master in my old desktop. Booted up, logged in, and found that I could run Doom, heresy, and most of the other games on the win3.11 with WinXPPro.

I also found some...personal love letters written by a female in an old win3.11 word processor program. I couldn't run the program itself, but I could open the letters in notepad. Interesting.

I seem to recall MS saying they had a team of 200 people working on XP compatibility.

It made sense at the time as they were trying to get people to migrate from the DOS compatible consumer editions of Windows (98 & ME).

Windows 2000 was much less friendly as it was not really intended for games playing

I wonder if anyone has tried these games with Vista?