Being forced to use vista??
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being forced to use vista??

Being forced to use vista??

When I bought my new laptop the people at Best Buy said that it was a bad idea to install windows xp on the new vista laptops. They said that the new machines are made for vista and that if i try to install windows xp on the machine I will FUBAR it. Has anyone heard anything about this??? Just wondering because im getting sick of Vista, It does have some cool features but its not practical for me right now being a computer science student and all.

KrYpToNiC

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    When I bought my new laptop the people at Best Buy said that it was a bad idea to install windows xp on the new vista laptops. They said that the new machines are made for vista and that if i try to install windows xp on the machine I will FUBAR it. Has anyone heard anything about this??? Just wondering because im getting sick of Vista, It does have some cool features but its not practical for me right now being a computer science student and all.

KrYpToNiC
    FUBAR it? There may be some components that might not be recognized by XP or that you should get drivers for first but I can't imagine it's impossible.

Perhaps just blow it away and stick your fav linux on it?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I thought about that but i dont wanna go throught the hastle of trying to get the windows programs i need for school to run on it.

Hi kryptonic,

Yes, unfortunately it is not practicable to build your own craptop, so you are stuck with the components that the OEM foists on you. That means you get the drivers that are available for them, and the choice of OS that dictates.

Put yourself in the place of the component manufacturers................. their margins are squeezed to the pips by the bulk purchasing power of the OEMs.

Why should they give a rodent's rectum about people who want to put another OS on the system they bought from HP, Lenovo, Acer and the rest? Their contract was with the OEM to provide X,000,000 widgets at $y per item with drivers for Windows Vista. They did that?

I would pay about as much attention to what a Best Buy sales drone says as I would to a politician's manifesto

If you tell me the make and model of your box I will gladly research XP compatibility for you............. there might be work arounds?

The problem mostly lies with the fact that these products a built to a price in what is currently a highly competitive market. Nobody in the supply chain can be bothered to look at these things because there is nothing on the bottom line for them.

Welcome to the World of corporate capitalist reality my friend

Nihil,

So wat do you think? Should I be alright with installing XP? I know That I will have to get used to Vista Sooner or later but I wanna wait until its more stable.

Complete and utter bullshit, I can say with 99.99% assurance that if you wipe the laptop out and reinstall Xp there will be a driver for your hardware available. Before you do wipe it out find out what kind of nic card(and wireless) is in your laptop and download the xp driver to a usb drive or cdrom. This way you will not need another pc to download the remaining drivers that may be missing. Then go to the manufactures website, find your laptop model and download the remaining device drivers after the install is complete.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hang10z; September 12th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.
    \"Good from a far, but far from good\"

when I ordered my laptop from IBM I was given a choice of operating system. I refuse to go near Vista for at least another year, maybe two

Hey kryptonic,

Just give me the make and model, and I will check it out for ya. There are several of us over in my part of the World doing this sort of stuff for people and we share ideas and info.

I know, I know, 20/20 superior hindsight is the only totally exact science that we have You really should have thought of buying second user, from one of those bleeding edge Windoze fanboys

I don't intend to go Vista until SP1, and I will build a dedicated machine.

It is a new OS by M$ standards and the sacred cow of "backwards compatibility" has been sacrificed.

Complete and utter bullshit, I can say with 99.99% assurance that if you wipe the laptop out and reinstall Xp there will be a driver for your hardware available.
    Really?............. and you don't even know what make or model it is....... can you give me six different numbers between 1 and 49 for our National lottery on Saturday?

I purchase at least 20 laptops per year. Dell / Sony vaio when on sale.

I don't care whats installed on them when they come in. They have Windows 2K on them when they leave.

Best Buy. The only place on the planet where you can never touch a computer and get a job as a repair tech.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Nihil,

The Laptop Is a Compaq Presario C571NR. I agree about not using Vista until SP1 comes out. It doesn't function properly and on top of the Internet crashes alot.