Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Being forced to use vista??

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    Nihil,

So wat do you think? Should I be alright with installing XP? I know That I will have to get used to Vista Sooner or later but I wanna wait until its more stable.
    Hi Kryptonic,
    I believe I read somewhere that Microsoft will be supporting Windows XP Service Pack 2 until 2014. So, you should have plenty of time.

PS: I think what MS calls "Mainstream Support" will last until some time in 2009. "Extended Support" will last until some time in 2014. This support will at least include security updates. You might want to do so research to investigate what else Extended Support will or will not include.
    Last edited by preacherman481; September 14th, 2007 at 02:47 PM.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

As a general rule if you have a vista box and you want to know if it will run XP:

1. If the model was on the market before February 2007 (as the C571NR was) there will be XP drivers for it, as it has shipped with XP in the past. This is providing that the build has not changed.

2. If it is a high-end machine made from retail components, there will be XP drivers because the component manufacturers want to sell to people upgrading their XP boxes.

If it is a budget machine that came onto the market after February 2007 then you need to be careful, as it will contain budget, made to order components that may well only have vista drivers.

Nihil, Listen maybe you want to go back over your last post and really take a look at what you are saying. You make absolutely no sense at all.....

There is no hardware on the market that is vista only. END OF STORY. Soon there will be 3d cards for CAD and highend gaming that run on Directx 10 which will not be available for XP as Vista is only capable (AS OF Today, there are rumors they might change this)

Beyond that it doesn't matter when the laptop was made, budget latops are not made to run vista as BUDGET $400-$600 USD laptops don't have the hardware for vista.. which is why you only see the top shelf laptops offered with vista. Also budget machines do not have special made to order components.. they have the most common and cheapest available on the market .. hence "Budget" LOL

Curious, Where did you pull this FEB 2007 thing from ??

So if you really do know then help out.. if not then if you are a mod its your reponsibility to not post false/"I'm guessing" info as FACT to people that need help. I don't care when you started coding... your experience punching basic math into cards is completely irrevelant...

Oh yeah I do use linux.. for snort and squid specifically..
    Last edited by hang10z; September 14th, 2007 at 04:56 PM.
    \"Good from a far, but far from good\"

There is no hardware on the market that is vista only
    Yes, there is.................anything that only has a Vista driver.

budget latops are not made to run vista as BUDGET $400-$600 USD laptops don't have the hardware for vista.. which is why you only see the top shelf laptops offered with vista
    That is utter and absolute bullsh1t. kryptonic posted complaining that he was forced to use Vista. He bought his laptop here:

http://www.dealoverflow.com/computer...-450-best-buy/

That is $450 (USD) and it obviously runs Vista

Also, if the nonsense you are posting were true, there wouldn't be any budget laptops would there? because there wouldn't be a version of Windows to run on them.

Also budget machines do not have special made to order components, they have the most common and cheapest available on the market .. hence "Budget" LOL
    Wrong again..................have you ever tried to build your own laptop? please tell us all where you managed to find the "common and cheapest" components.......................

What actually happens is that the OEMs go to component manufacturers and order parts to their specifications. Because they buy in such vast quantities and the items are not top specification, that keeps the price down. If you have ever taken different laptops apart you should know that is the case, because the components are different.

Curious, Where did you pull this FEB 2007 thing from ??
    Because 30th January 2007 was when Microsoft released Vista to the general public. Obviously, anything that shipped before that shipped with Windows XP so the hardware drivers must exist.

AOs Resident Troll
    Nihil is right...when shopping for a laptop for an exec

All I could get was Vista...and I wasnt about to send an exec out with an OS I couldnt support....so I look at the XP laptops. they were rare.....

Dell...amongst others....had XP on lesser hardware for approx 300.00 + CDN $$ more.

I finally found a beauty Acer with an AMD Turon......XP Pro

For hardware to run on an OS...you need drivers...no XP drivers...no compatibility

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; September 14th, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Yes,

Another point is that the OEMs have declared at least some machines to be Vista only, and that if you install XP you will void your warranty and support.

Possibly not such a big deal for corporate shops, but certainly worth thinking about for a private user.

This is the kind of thing I am thinking of:

Yup...I am another not so happy laptop buyers.....I bought an Everex with core duo.....1 gig memory.....I spent 600 bucks...Seemed like it would be a good setup......
    Vista had me going freaking nuts within 2 hours of setting up.....I got pissed and formatted to XP...at this point I went to grab drivers from the site and found that there were none. Just vista crap......well being home edition 32 bit....should work fine with those drivers I thought......WOW...wrong answer......
    So I phoned support only to find out that I voided my warranty.......I told the guy he was crazy....How the heck does that void warrenty...He claimed because I changed operating systems......I hung up on him......OK...So I look back less than a week later to the support site at Everex.....I figured I would find another unit with same specs and try those drivers......I then realized that they have posted the drivers for XP with my laptop......However ...here is the deal.....
    Everything is fine...except the Video.....Text is fine....But pictures are so badly textured...I cant take it......
    Is there anyway Ive ruined the on board Video?.....It is VIA® Chrome9™ HC IGP (64MB shared memory, 128MB maximum) with DirectX 9.0 Support .....
    Other than the pictures being so pixelated they are unviewable....the notebook is fine.....
    If I can just work this part out.....I would be a happy camper......any suggestions would be appreciated
    Last edited by nihil; September 14th, 2007 at 08:23 PM.

Cool

Comon DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!
    VISTA is future windows OS.If you just stick to XP u will be FUBAR(R-recognition).
    I suggest go for a dual boot with SuSE 10.2 and Vista (Ultimate rox if you are a gamer and iff you have a good graphics card).
    Wait till Dec this year or March ,get used to Vista then make your own decision.
    partyhardworkHARDER

An interesting point of view you have there tapu.

VISTA is future windows OS
    Actually it is the current Windows OS, so, like yourself, I am surprised that a computer science student like kryptonic doesn't want to stick with it, even as a dual boot setup?

I appreciate that the machine is a $450 budget device, so the Vista experience may not be that impressive (no "aero" and the like), but at least the fundamentals are there?............. only the "eye candy" is missing?

If you just stick to XP u will be FUBAR(R-recognition)
    I don't agree with that, as I do not see Vista as being a Microsoft success story. If you look at sales, they are well below forecast and the shortfall is in business, enterprises and the like. Most "sales" are pre-loaded domestic/private systems. Look to "System 7"..............

I agree that he should persevere with it though, from an educational viewpoint if nothing else?

I suggest go for a dual boot with SuSE 10.2 and Vista
    I don't............... unless I have misunderstood, this machine is really just a tool to be used in an educational support role. By that, I mean it is not a test or development machine? He types up notes, essays, papers and the like?

Perhaps a Vista/XP dual boot would be more appropriate? then buy an external HDD and partition that for a variety of Linux distros?

(Ultimate rox if you are a gamer and iff you have a good graphics card).
    He has a $450 budget laptop............. he/it doesn't

EDIT: "comon" should be "Come on"
    Last edited by nihil; September 15th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.

Acctually the Aero does work on here and amazingly enough its pretty fast. I might have the product number mixed up or something because although laptop in the link you posted looks the same the hardware isnt the same. If Im not mistaken compaq released a version of this laptop with a celeron and then the one that I have which is Dual core. Also I spent $600.00 plus tax for it not $450.00 ( I wish I would have gotten it for that price tho).

On another note I have been getting used to Vista and its more Friendly then I expected. I haven't had to much problems with it and its still running pretty fast. It does play Halo nice so thats a plus lol.

Nihil,

Just looked more indepth at the link you posted for my laptop. It lead to the best buy website which shows this laptop for $599.99. Which makes me angry because I could have gotten it for $450.00 :-/