Thread: Newb Vista Question

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.

Newb Vista Question

Um.. Just a brief Vista newbie question. Almost everytime I plug in a thumb drive or camera or printer or anything that plugs into my USB drive, it comes up with: New driver found, do you want to install? I click yeah, sure and it is unable to find the software, blah blah blah. I know you need software for cameras and the such but other people's thumb drives? I don't know how to get these things to work.
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

Hi Godly Soup,

Could I just clarify that?

New driver found, do you want to install?
    Don't you mean that it comes up with "new hardware found", then invites you to install a driver?

I know you need software for cameras and the such but other people's thumb drives?
    You will almost certainly need hardware specific drivers for printers, scanners and the like, but you should not need them for thumb drives or cameras.

The camera contains some sort of flash memory card, and this should be recognised as a generic external memory device, just like the thumb drive. I know the camera comes with software, but this is usually the fancy picture management stuff.

Try:

1. Go into BIOS and see if there is a "legacy USB support" option. Is it turned on? As a start, make sure that all USB options are turned "on".

2. Go into device manager and see if there are any problems with your USB controllers. Also look for "unknown hardware".......... does it think that you have any?

it is unable to find the software, blah blah blah.
    That sounds as if your system is recognising the attachment of the device, but does not know what it is. It should be using the generic Windows USB drivers for memory devices.

Let us know if that helps

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    When I used Vista it came up with that even when you plug in a flash drive. Just click next next and it should be fine.

However take Nihils point into consideration that you need certain software for certain peripherals.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

There does seem to be a considerable lack of drives for USB sticks in Vista - I have two that work straight out of the box in XP - when I plug them into Vista I get the new hardware found > no drivers found > do you want look on-line for solution > This page will be updated next century.

Go to the manufactures web site and it says that they should work straight out of the box with Vista.

I managed to dig one out that did work but every time I plug it in it insists on installing the driver for it, even though it installs successfully.

Bloody irritating.

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.

Angry

No go. Legacy is on, but it's still coming up as the new hardware detected, install new driver. When I click Locate and install new drivers (recommended), it comes up with please insert the install disk. It's a USB, and does not have one (I know some do). Right now, during my Computer Forensics class, it won't let me plug in the write-protected hard drive because it comes up with install new USB drivers. It's starting to tick me off, lol.
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    just have to wait till SP1 arrives
    just don't hold your breath
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    My friend is having a similar problem with Vista and her flash drive. I have offered to upgrade her to XP.

Maybe I am missing something, but aren’t thumb drives/flash drives just portable hard drives; that you can store information on and recover it later? Then I don’t see why you would need a driver for this… just click start>computer and your drive should be listed there as removable storage, just do your business there! Again maybe I missed something. I just exit the (recommended) pop-ups and do what I need manually from the device manager.

Either way, I hate vista with a passion. I went to go get a new laptop from best buy when college started; I asked the guy helping me if there was anyway that I could get a different OS before I purchased the computer. His response was “why would you want to do that? This is the newest and best system that Microsoft has made!” I just walked over to one of the floor models and brought up a search window, pressed ctrl+n for maybe ten seconds and the computer froze! I just looked at him and walked away, it was really funny because a couple of my friends were there with me and they just lost it…