Thread: windows updates -like it or not

windows updates -like it or not

Yeah had seen that on another site - typical M$!

Well....if MS can alter DLL's, control panel files and exe files remotely and without the users knowledge - what do they have in built to Windows XP and Vista to allow it? My first thought would have been windows update, however the article specifically says that this happened to users that had it turned off....

So I would like to know how they done something that would usually require a user to be logged in as an Admin or at least know the admin password? And what safe guards are in place to stop a malicious person remotely updating DLL's and exe files without a users knowledge......

I am afraid that I don't buy into this FUD.

WUD is MS's property, NOT yours................ you are quite at liberty to delete it if you wish.

Reminds me of something I heard in the Mil. back then: "Sir, may I ask permission to ask permission to ask permission..................."

Bollix! If you have turned off autoupdating then that is it.............. or don't you know how to take control of your own damn computer? It won't autoupdate if the functionality isn't up-to date, so you are actually having your freedom of choice assiduously defended by M$ itself (herself? ).

This is actually something that M$ have done that I approve of........... a genuine service to customers. If you ever decide to turn it back on, it will work................... if it were not up todate then who knows?

I will slag M$ till Hell freezes over, in resperct of their DRM and the monumental balls-ups they have made in trying to implement it. BUT, BUT, BUT; if you cannot accept honest attempts to do the right thing............. you might as well take your written constitution and stick it on a nail in the contemplation shed in your back yard?

If you want to control YOUR COMPUTER................ go get yourself an inherited fortune and a shedload of electronics Phds.........

Sentiment: Strong MS support............... Jeez!............ wait while I go puke!!

What they done may be OK but it is how they were able to do it remotley that concerns me.

Nokia,

That is an excellent point. Might I suggest that the point is that you chose their software, and to connect to the internet?.... That means that you connect to them?

They try to look after over 80% of PC users this way?

I just want to see a level playing field here?