Monitoring users activity via Cisco Router

Thread: Monitoring users activity via Cisco Router

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Monitoring users activity via Cisco Router

Hi !
    I have a cisco router of 800 series with IOS 12.2 in it. What i want to do is monitor users activity throught the routers i mean i wanted to know which user is browsing, or the list of IP's he/she is connected to.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Just Another Geek
    Turn on NetFlow, log it on a server and process that data..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800d6a11.html

http://www.mindrot.org/projects/flowd/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Flowd is for Linux, i am using windows :-( Any tool for microsoft platform.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Quote Originally Posted by FanacooL
    Flowd is for Linux, i am using windows :-( Any tool for microsoft platform.
    Why limit yourself to just Windows? We run a mostly Windows network, but I'm not shy about using linux when I can. You can save a ton of $ and it's a lot of fun setting up. I've just implemented a whole network monitoring system using various open source tools. Nagios, cacti, switchmap and now (thanks to your post), I'm going to try out this flowd.

And, there are lots of open source tools out there for the cisco network.
    http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/

Either way, check out the following link for more tools. Most of the Windows tools have limitations (interface or statistical analying) on the "free" versions. As you can guess, that is not the case with most of the *nix tools.
    http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/
    Last edited by phishphreek; September 24th, 2007 at 01:23 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just setup a VM on your machine and install Linux on that. Use a virtual bridge for the network connection.

echo the Unix pitch...

If you're going to get serious about network monitoring and such -- you really should invest some energy into a Unix/Linux box...

Well although i have managed to achieve what i wanted to, thanx to SirDice.......but as far as you guys are concerned, well i am always afraid to put my hand on Linux as i have no prior experience of it. I think its time that i must do something about it and look seriosuly.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I would also like to get involved with inux though. I have played around with Mandrake 9.2 and 10 however as a techie I have no knowledge of what is going on or what I should do.

Could some one maybe point me into the right direction. Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Ubuntu has a pretty good learning curve for new users, if you're trying to decide on a distro.

I would almost venture to say that Ubuntu is easier to use than XP at times ... Don't limit yourself to just the GUI though... play around with the command line. I first started using Linux when the GUI wasn't the greatest, I was using something like redhat 6 ... My Networking teacher let me set up a Linux server on the network, and made it accessible remotely... [she was probably the coolest teacher I ever had] I would spend hours at night telneting into that thing from home... just trying out different commands... we set up logins for a few of my friends, and we would get on there at the same time and chat... then I found out that I could connect to a couple of FTP servers within the schools network.. but that is a whole different can of worms ok, I have rambled enough... my point is try linux, and become familiar with the command line.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST