Thread: SDRAM/DRAM question...

SDRAM/DRAM question...

I recently got a "new" computer (an IBM NetVista x40 with an 800 MHz Pentium III, 128 MB SDRAM, a 20 GB SCSI HD), and I would like to upgrade the RAM. However, being a fuddy-duddy with RAM (and hardware in general), I'm not certain if I need to upgrade the RAM with more SDRAM or whether I can replace the 128 MB SDRAM with a corresponding size (i.e. same number of pins, etc.) DRAM chip?

I would like to get FreeBSD working on this baby, but without adequate RAM it'd be a nightmare using the Ports system.

So, to sum up, can I replace the SDRAM with DRAM? Or am I condemned to a life with SDRAM?
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

you will need to replace it with a stick of SDram, also make sure that if you plan on using more then one stick ie two sticks of 256 Sdram then make sure that they have the same frequencies.

as the computer will only utilize the lower frequency stick if they are different frequency's.

Nope, you can't.

The X-40 (PIII) shipped with 128Mb of PC133 SDRAM with a CL (clock latency) of 2.

It has two memory slots that will recognise up to 256Mb strips for a total of 512Mb.

It was designed and built as a flashy executive's office desktop, and nothing more.

It comes with a very old hat 16Mb video card (integrated chipset, actually)............ you may want to upgrade that.You should get around a 10% performance increase.

For those bright sparks about to suggest changing the motherboard......... take a look at it and figure out why you can't

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h206.htm

Very much an "eye candy" device

EDIT: By "DRAM" I am assuming that you mean "DDRAM" (double data rate)?
    Last edited by nihil; September 27th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm off to search the internet for SDRAM. A mere 256 MB more would suffice for a man as lazy as me :P

(And I know this is kind of too late to ask, but is there any way to upgrade the hard disk or would be easier to leave it as it is?)

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    EDIT: By "DRAM" I am assuming that you mean "DDRAM" (double data rate)?
    D'oh! You're right, I'm screwed that up :S
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

Talking eeeeww

[QUOTE=nihil]
    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h206.htm

Very much an "eye candy" device
    QUOTE]

Ew... I think I'd say more like "eye sore" instead of eye candy. Did that inspire the G3 iMacs?

Ark- There should be a way to replace the HDD but make sure the BIOS will recognize it. Maybe google the model number or maybe nihil will spit some more factual data about this thing. haha.

Found a couple links about it with more specs...

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-IBM-NetV...0-6643-664311U
    (specs)
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4JGQAM
    (parts numbers with exploded diagram)
    Last edited by blakdeth77; September 27th, 2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added links

Hmmm, I doubt if it has a SCSI drive, they don't come in 20Gb sizes anyway. 19.2 would souind more like it for SCSI of that era.

It is probably a 20.4Gb/ 7,200rpm/ ATA66 IDE drive.

Get this utility:

http://www.auslogics.com/system-information/index.php

and check what you really have

SCSI dives are high end and fast performers. This machine is pretty mediocre.

It is intended for senior executives, receptionists and staff who are public facing, because it looks hi-tech and cool. These people don't actually need much in the way of performance. The looks are there as a fashion statement to the uneducated