Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group Policy Management

Group Policy Management

How do you manage your Group Policies? Do you use the Windows 2003 Group Policy Management Console? Or, are you using some third party tool?

One of my projects for this upcoming year is to expand the use of our Group Policies. I'm using them now for basic security and etc, but I know it can use some work.

I've just found this product called PolicyMaker which was aquired by m$.
    http://www.desktopstandard.com/

It looks pretty good and I've signed up for a trial. This is avaiable for those who are already software assurance customers...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I use Windows 2003 Group Policy. I have to say, I like it a lot. But be careful as to what you enable/disable as it can have unexpected results.

AOs Resident Troll
    I use the 2003 Group Policy on a limited basis...

One tip is to copy any default template before editing....that way you dont muck the template and can always revert back.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Yep, I'm also using the 2003 Group Policy MMC. It has worked so far for what I need. I just spent most of the day creating custom ADM files to tweak things that they didn't have settings for.

I make a backups on a regular basis using the GPMMC.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Windows 2003 Group Policy Management Console

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    2K3 GPMC for me too
    still new to all of it as well
    so for me it's all still fun

I am about to build me a W2K3 server for home, and will be setting it to run as a domain, with all bells and whistles
    had problems on my MCSE 2k3 with GPO's, so any new 'toy' always welcome

just had a quick read through off the link
    might do some more in depth into it too

always looking for more reading

what's the betting it ends up in Vista / Server 2k7 too
    I know 2k7 is going to be CLI based, but there IS a GUI option going to be made ready eventually
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Quote Originally Posted by foxyloxley
    2K3 GPMC for me too
    what's the betting it ends up in Vista / Server 2k7 too
    I know 2k7 is going to be CLI based, but there IS a GUI option going to be made ready eventually
    HuH?! You mean Exchange 2007? I haven't heard anything about Server going that route too... please point me to some docs if you've seen otherwise. I've read little about 2008. I'm still trying to get everything moved over to 2003! lol

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I just got back from a 'Training Camp' doing my MCSE 2K3, and the instructor there was talking about it,
    as I am looking to do MCSE 2K8 fairly soon too ........
    and I should have put it down as 2K8
    but the word is it will be a CLI on server 2K8
    and 'maybe' get a GUI option later

will look for links now ..........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Interesting... I'll have to download and play around with the Server 2008 beta. I know that they've been working hard on developing the windows powershell. The GUI that runs on top of that is just a bunch of options/switches that get appended to the powershell command. They've effectively worked backwards to try to give the same flexibility as linux... but just made it more difficult.

I started learning the powershell when I had to transition to exchange 2007. Some things are easy to do there, but it just seems clunky and it doesn't follow the rules that most other scripting languages (like perl) do.

Not only that, but when you need a script to query snmp, ssh or etc, you have to license that feature from someone else! (or write your own) What kind of crap is that? http://www.nsoftware.com/powershell/

Maybe I need to spend some more time learning powershell... but so far, I'm not impressed.

We use a 3rd party tool called PolicyMaker here. Seems to work fairly well (I don't work with it myself). Downside seems to be that a client needs to be on all the machines you wish to manage.