Thread: IP table help

Talking IP table help

Ok, I'm using Slackware 12 now, and I'm curious does anyone know of a good tutorial on iptables? I did have one website that will give you a general iptable setup but I want to do this from scratch. I'm willing to do some heavy reading, just can't find a good tutorial. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I skimmed through the forums and didn't find anything so if I missed something, I'm sorry and moderator I'll understand if you delete this post...but please don't ban me lol. Thanks lots!

Once you get a good understanding of how it works you may want to get something to manage your rulesets. While flat files are ok for most services, they seem to be a huge pain in the butt to read and keep track of in Linux for the firewall rulesets.

I personally use fwbuilder because I can keep rulesets for multiple systems from one place. The hard part is getting all your hosts and networks defined. Once you have that... it's simple to deploy over and over again. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by phishphreek; September 28th, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Welcome home, cyrrius, my badly spelt cloud formation..........

I'm sorry and moderator I'll understand if you delete this post...but please don't ban me lol. Thanks lots!
    We are under new management, and that sort of crap doesn't happen, unless I gnaw through the restraints............

Get your sorry a$$ back in here boy!................ that is a direct order!

And I do have a duster and a Stetson

Muhahahahahahahahaha

wow thanks guys

now i have something to read over the weekend and let's see if i can set up a secure network now lol and nihil... i'm back! :P phishphreek, i'll take a look into fwbuilder, sounds like that can be very useful, nokia thanks lots for the reading material, may take a while to read it all but i'll cover it. slack on slackers!

I agree with phish, fwbuilder is the way to go. It looks a lot like Checkpoint, and works great. For work my scripts are fairly simple usually only allowing one or two open ports to a range of ip address, but my rules at home are crazy thats where I use fwbuilder.