Thread: Something hates me...

Hybrid View

somewhere between Milledgeville and Augusta

Something hates me...

Okay, so I'm trying my damndest to install Visual Studio , and every time I get part-way through the installation process, it comes up with an error saying it can't find some random .cab file, which I know is freaking there because I'm looking right at it, and the installer should be too, because I checked the path. Anyway, it won't get past that point in installation, EVER.

On top of that, I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro (yes, I know I'm lazy, but that's not the point) and my updates won't install automatically. I have to search through and install them manually from Microsoft's Download Center. It's becoming a real pain.

Has anyone else experienced and/or resolved this or a similar issue?
    I wear the crazy on the outside because I cannot live with it on the inside.

AOs Resident Troll
    IMHO

The best way to have a nice clean install...and the performance from an OS is to format and install from scratch...no upgrade.

Cleans up the crap.

As for the unable to install...sounds like the disk is dirty or damaged....also check harddrive and temp file space......I believe that is a very large app

Also...you must have admin rights...to install and possibly to run

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; September 30th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

If you're having a problem with Windows/Microsoft update, search for the error code. You should have the error logs in your event log.

Otherwise, make sure you have Windows Installer 3.1, Windows Update 3.0 client and BITS 2.0 installed. If that doesn't work.... stop the windows update service. Goto %windir% and delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. Start the Automatic Updates service and run "wuauclt /detectnow" minus the quotes from the commandline.

Also... I'll echo MLF's advice. I never like to "upgrade" from one OS to another anymore. I always do a clean install... I've run into far too many problems and spent too much time on upgrade problems. Its faster to just backup your files/settings and do a fresh install.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.