Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone hate me

someone hate me

i think i got attack by an hacker wo breaks into my computer
    first my computer with windows xp shut down alone after few seconds
    i reinstalled with changing information restart modem and router to change ip
    the next day my explorer was off
    what should i do ?
    i have antivirus and firewall
    i want to move to linux as i got on my laptop but i don't really know to use it
    i have fedora7
    Last edited by freestudent714; September 30th, 2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: cant surf as i want

That doesn't mean you've been hacked, necessarily. There are viruses and other malware (as well as some hardware issues) that can cause shutdowns and rebooting. As far as having antivirus, regardless of which one you have, NEVER place 100% faith in any one scan. ALWAYS get at least a second opinion, if not a third. I recommend panda scan and trend micro's housecall for the 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Hello freestudent714 and welcome to AO.

Your problem could be caused by malware or a badly behaving program. It could also be a hardware issue such as overheating.

I do not think that it is a hacker, as they try to take control of your machine and use it for their own purposes. Turning it off would prevent them doing this?

1. Check that all your cooling fans are clean and functioning. Do not forget the one on your video card if you have one.

2. Update your antivirus, reboot into safe mode and run a full scan.

3. Use "Event Viewer" to look at your system logs for any error messages.

4. Run this: http://www.infectedornot.com/uk/

Just Another Geek
    You reinstalled your system, did you also reinstall all the patches?

If you want to move to linux try using VMWare server or MS Virtual PC. That would allow you to play with it, screw things up (as you inevitably will do) and still keep your current OS.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just a thought, is this a genuine copy of Windows XP and has it been activated?

WGA can produce some strange things from time to time?

Thank you all.I've been readind you and FAQ and most important read me first.It was very educationnal.Im glad to be in your community.

Nihil is on the track that I was thinking of. If you have a pirated copy of XP, it will be severely restricted. The IE shutdown that you mentioned got me thinking on this track.

If you are up to it, give Kubuntu (Linux) a shot...it's very user friendly, and it's free! Can't go wrong there.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

interesting...

when I used to "fix" computers for a living, I often used pirated copies of Win 2000 and XP... I don't condone pirating software, but I was broke, and a man has to eat...

but I never ran into problems with pirated reinstalls - nor did my customers... many times I used CDs burned from ISOs that were ripped from legal copies owned by the institution that I worked for (which required no key, as I recall)... but I've also had success w/ ISOs I've gotten from BitTorrent, etc - even Limewire... I do recall having problems using my cousin's XP Home Edition disc that he bought from Wal-Mart - wanted me to call in my activation code or something, as I recall...

Anyway - Ouroboros said:
    If you have a pirated copy of XP, it will be severely restricted. The IE shutdown that you mentioned got me thinking on this track.
    Severely restricted in what respect? This isn't the first time I've heard that a pirated copy of Windows will cause problems - I've just never seen it for myself...

Please elaborate...

-Wiski

PS - I don't condone pirating software - but I won't be untruthful about my past - we've all done things that we're not proud of, and things that were maybe outside of the law... please don't grill me b/c of my honesty... besides, you can't even buy XP at any local retail store anymore... what's a man to do? :P
    wiskic10_4
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Hi, wiskic10_4,

Good ta see ya back man!

I was not suggesting that the OP actually had a pirated version of XP........ Redmond have taken that requirement away for dumb users

Last I read, over 500,000 (yes, half a million) totally legal and genuine copies of XP have been identified as "pirate" by the mega tech software known as "WGA"

You are out of date............ the latest WGA and other DRM crap WILL damage your system. They load it surreptitiously when you update.

Only the other week, 19,000 institutional and other pro users had their Vista trashed by it..............

And we trust them to write an OS?????????????

Ack phtt!

nihil -

No, the first thing I do after I install an OS is make sure it is up to date... and, I've never ran into problems using the Windows Update Site - My installs have always been approved by the little validation tool that you've gotta download... maybe I'm just lucky... I dunno - I've read up on WGA and DRM - Seems that I would've been affected... but, I haven't... also, like I said, I usually used CDs burned from ISOs ripped from legal copies from where I used to work - which required no key (I'm thinking maybe the key was already entered, and that the institution had bought a license agreement w/ MS that allowed so-many installations w/ a single disc - a quota that hadn't been reached) But - I've never had problems w/ copies d/l via P2P, either...

I'm not sure... WGA is known to find many false positives... but also false-negatives...

I don't know - maybe I'm hallucinating - but I know that I *have* used pirated Windows 2000 and XP CDs, I know that I *always* get all of the updates, and that I've never experienced problems updating the OS or w/ functionality otherwise...

Anyway... I don't get it... any questions, comments, or things you'd like to think about are appreciated...

-Wiski
    Last edited by wiskic10_4; October 6th, 2007 at 12:33 AM.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online