Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IP address leads to arrest??

Question IP address leads to arrest??

IP = ID?? How can this be possible?

A man in WNY was arrested and sentenced to a year in jail over an email with the sole piece of evidence being an IP address? (- and a wireless IP address at that?! -)

How can they determine from an IP address who in the house or on a network is actually on the computer?

Can anyone explain this to me?

The NSA and the Homeland Security Act make it so. Maybe the perp didn't fancy a holiday in Cuba?............... maybe they just beat a fess out of him with a length of pressure hose?

A man in WNY was arrested and sentenced to a year in jail over an email with the sole piece of evidence being an IP address?
    Errr, excuse me, in a civilised country you would be arrested, charged, arraigned, tried, judged, then sentenced or aquitted

Also, to obtain a conviction in a civilised society, you need to satisfy the Court as to:

1. Opportunity
    2. Ability
    3. Motive

(- and a wireless IP address at that?! -)
    There is no such thing. An IP address is an IP address.......... period.

How can they determine from an IP address who in the house or on a network is actually on the computer?
    If it is your house and your network, why should they care? you are guilty until proven innocent. It is the same as if your handgun is used in a crime, or your automobile.

The onus of proof is on you..........
    Last edited by nihil; October 6th, 2007 at 08:05 PM.

So they (FBI, CIA, etc…) intercepted an email with incriminating evidence and arrested a guy with an IP address? Do I have that all right? Seems to me if they intercepted an email, they wouldn’t need an IP to convict him, you can see who owns the email address, and go from there!

Sounds like the media got a hold of this story =)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArPaNET
    So they (FBI, CIA, etc…) intercepted an email with incriminating evidence and arrested a guy with an IP address? Do I have that all right? Seems to me if they intercepted an email, they wouldn’t need an IP to convict him, you can see who owns the email address, and go from there!

Sounds like the media got a hold of this story =)

Email addresses can be forged as much as IP. But since the 4th Amendment has been rather raped, it seems silly to assume that the US will follow the rule of law. :P
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned

A man in WNY was arrested and sentenced to a year in jail over an email with the sole piece of evidence being an IP address? (- and a wireless IP address at that?! -)

They can determine who the IP address belongs to (or belonged to at the time of the crime) by getting a subpoena to have the ISP turn over the data linking the IP address to an ISP account. They cannot, of course, determine from that data alone who was actually using the computer. If someone was actually sentenced to 1 year in prison based on an incriminating e-mail, I'm sure the prosecutor had more on the plaintiff than just the IP connection (a confession, more than likely...).

Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    Email addresses can be forged as much as IP. But since the 4th Amendment has been rather raped, it seems silly to assume that the US will follow the rule of law. :P
    considering that they are intercepting encrypted emails and decrypting them, I am sure they are "going by the book" on this one.

I really dont think we have the full story though...

Do I have that all right? Seems to me if they intercepted an email, they wouldn’t need an IP to convict him, you can see who owns the email address, and go from there!
    considering that they are intercepting encrypted emails and decrypting them, I am sure they are "going by the book" on this one.
    I would have thought that a far more likely scenario is someone receives an offensive e-mail and reports it to the authorities.

A one year sentence is trivial by US standards so it cannot have been very serious?

Hardly enough to merit Federal involvement or "interception"?

I really dont think we have the full story though...
    I think that is very true!

=) well played sir!

every mail sent ( by any computer using whether an pc or laptop , using either lan,internet connection or wireless connection) has an ip address i.e. from which ip address it is origianting or sent to any body.
    from this ip address one can find out the exact location of the ip address.
    as all ip address are registered.
    moni

Quote Originally Posted by raveesh
    every mail sent ( by any computer using whether an pc or laptop , using either lan,internet connection or wireless connection) has an ip address i.e. from which ip address it is origianting or sent to any body.
    from this ip address one can find out the exact location of the ip address.
    as all ip address are registered.
    You cannot possibly be that retarded.

IP addresses are nothing but network addresses, that in many cases do not correspond in any really meningful way to a geographical location.

They can be spoofed, hidden, etc. Especially in the context of SMTP.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.