Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IP address leads to arrest??

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    IP = ID?? How can this be possible?

A man in WNY was arrested and sentenced to a year in jail over an email with the sole piece of evidence being an IP address? (- and a wireless IP address at that?! -)
    Oh yea, and what exactly did the court find him convicted of? #2 A mere IP address is NOT enough evidence to convict him/her of a computer crime. He could have easily said my systems security was breached someone hacked into my computer to do their dirty work from my PC I was a VICTIM not the culprit. I've been through the legal system a few times so I kind of now what works and what doesn't. On a side note, do you know how easy it is to spoof an IP address/break into someones PC and use their system to do your dirty work it's not very hard.

How can they determine from an IP address who in the house or on a network is actually on the computer?
    All they can do is a *WHOIS* query on the IP address and see WHO the IP address belongs too. (which isp) not which individual user was on. They cannot tell if it was tyrone smith or his grandma all they know is someone was on that computer using an IP that belonged to their ISP.

PS; Maybe in the UK it works like that but over here in the states it's all evidence your innocent until proven guilty. Just because the cops arrest you those are *booking charges* doesn't mean your guilty or convicted of those charges those are only ARREST charges.

CN22, I hear what you are saying:

PS; Maybe in the UK it works like that but over here in the states it's all evidence your innocent until proven guilty. Just because the cops arrest you those are *booking charges* doesn't mean your guilty or convicted of those charges those are only ARREST charges.
    What happens over here is that as soon as it is Kiddie Pr0n on the agenda, due process takes a hike?

Like "circumstantial" becomes "the word of God"

1. Courts don't understand IT technicalities.
    2. Law enforcement don't understand IT technicalities.
    3. Users don't understand IT technology.
    4. Juries don't understand IT technology.
    5. Lawyers don't understand IT technology.
    6. IT don't understand IT technology.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Wink

5. Lawyers don't understand IT technology.
    I think that last statement is in-correct. Not all lawyers understand I.T since their career is (law) and not IT. However, there ARE Lawyers out there who are experienced in computer crimes, they know IT more than you realize. I sure wouldn't under estimate anyone thats one of the stupidest mistakes you can make. Even though they specialize in 'LAW' some of them do know and understand IT. IMO, all attorneys are scumbag *******s. And from my personal experience with them and from what I've seen if you have the cash they can pretty much get you off the hook and away with a lot of stuff that you wouldn't even believe.

Back to Nihil; In the court of law in the states it's usually evidence is the key role in a conviction of a crime. If theres
    not enough evidence to prove that you are guilty well they can easily dismiss the case and your off the hook. However, if you take it to trial and you know your guilty of the crime instead of a taking a plea deal (aka lighter sentence for you) if you take it to trial and LOOSE the judges usually give you maximum. Why? cause you could have just taken a plea deal and not waste the courts time by having a trial. A PD A public defender could come to an agreement with the States attorneys office to reduce the sentence on the culprit.

btw;
    To have a trial it cost a lot $$$$$$$$ lawyers, experts on the stand, witnesses, judges , attorneys jurors etc...

thats why a lot of people take ple deals for a lighter sentence. Also, the charges cops arrest you on aka (booking charges) can always change when the state attorneys office (court) gets a hold of the papers either being more serious or charges getting reduced.
    Last edited by Computernerd22; July 10th, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

i am a complete newb at this, but there seems to be a lot of interesting things centered around a simple ip address. i do have a question though. my isp, time warner, gave me a cable modem and basically said heres your internet, u can keep your email address and what not. now my thing is can what difference is that to dial up, where your isp makes u log in to use ur internet? where its like they can basically see everything u do. does having an always on connection give you more privacy or is just the same. i hear your isp can essentially read your emails, from the little i do know. having a hotmail account is on a totally different server and one would assume the lines are encrypted. so in any case can your isp basically spy on you

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    A one year sentence is trivial by US standards so it cannot have been very serious?
    One of my friends' kids was convicted on gun/drug charges and he only
    got 10 months here in the States. He was buying guns left and right
    for a drug gang to sell. Put a lot of hardware on the street, he did,
    mate. Glad it wasn't serious. Violent criminals tend to get off a bit
    easier here. Still...it would be enough to give you a complex about
    taking a "shower". Especially if you were in your 20's. I knew one
    of the Clark boys who did a stint in the state pen here in Shawnee
    country. Young guy. Came out with ALL his front teeth missing, top
    and bottom. It ain't like the movies. It's uglier.

As for lawyers, there are some good, honest ones. Brings to mind an old one-liner: 98% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers