I'm back!

Thread: I'm back!

Smile I'm back!

Just a quick post as it's got stupidly late, to say I'm finally back. I ended up being in hospital longer than expected and then had to stay a week with my Dad as the hospital would only let me go if I had 24/7 care - well, not care exactly, but someone around all the time.

So now I'm hobbling on crutches and I'm in a non weight bearing plaster for 6 weeks - fun, fun! Then it's another 6 weeks or so in a weight bearing plaster and after that loads of physio before I'm anything like recovered.

I have a sick note for 3 months and intend to take nihil up on his offer - why not? I'm quaking a bit since I'm rather shy .... but will do it soon!

I'll have loads of time on the computer once I get completely over the op, the anaesthetic and the general mauling my body's had. Currently I'm trying to clear a massive backlog of email and get side tracked into chatting with people! However, soon I'll be posting as often as nihil it's good to be back here!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Vermont, USA
    Welcome back. Sorry to hear things didn't go as well as they could have. But it's good to hear you're on the mend.

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Hi there Moira!

Good to have you back, and wishing you a speedy recovery

Welcome back Moira. Well, we expected it to be an unpleasant experience but at least you'll be in the pink again soon.

Hey, I don't know you that well but we've talked enough for me to care you're alive

So get back to 100% soon

For Physical Therapy, I'm not sure the extent of this one you have to go through but make sure to tell them when you think you've had enough. I know when I went through it they would set goals for me the first time and I worked WAY passed what I should have done and ended up taking longer to heal because I was over doing it.

If you feel like you've done enough inside, let them know because a lot of the times they take that into consideration and they'll be like "OK, you did do this and this already so go ahead and call it a day and try these at home".

Most likely you'll be on Vicodin ES as when you're in physical therapy you need a pain killer than works but at the same time doesn't numb the pain. It lets you know if it's getting worse because you can still feel it the whole time, it just changes how it hurts so you can live your life as I'm sure we've talked about before.

Get better soon and do push yourself more than what you feel is needed, and follow what the Dr says closely. If he says don't over do it, then don't. And if you want to do extra ask first so you don't damage anything.

The best advice I can give you:

Grab a Pentium 3 or AMD equivalent processor system with like a 64 MB video card, pop Windows 98 SE on it, and install this:

Unreal Tournament
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    Ultimate Doom
    Doom 2
    Final Doom
    Quake 2
    Quake 3
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Take your pain meds, and play those. You'll love it, trust me.

Glad to see that you have pulled through .
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat

Many thanks for all your kind messages At least there's plenty of time to spend on the computer and in front of the TV, though after watching England lose the Rugby World Cup Final, I figure on giving TV a miss! I have a pile of books to wade through as well, so I won't be twiddling my thumbs. I'm not really into games gore and we don't do vicodin here in the UK but have equivalents.

As far as I can gather the operation went very well. Unlike some poor unfortunates, my leg didn't swell up preventing the plaster being put on for several days - one woman having a similar op to me was looking at a 10 day stay minimum. When they took the dressing off I saw that I have one neat row of stitches up the back of my heal and some more on my calf where they took the muscle.

I won't lose as much fitness as I thought, as I've been given exercises to strengthen what I can of the sore leg, and hobbling on one leg is exhausting! I tell you the leg isn't sore at all, but I'm finding muscles I didn't know I had and my shoulders are killing me!

I greatly admire the surgeon who did my op - he must have had a really difficult and fiddly job, but seems to have got a great result! He said he did the longer, more difficult cases first and I was first on the list! I was six hours in surgery, so I guess I would have ingested a lot of anaesthetic. My throat was sore when I woke up
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

AOs Resident Troll
    Good to see you back and all went well as could be

I envy your time to yourself.........

Enjoy it!!

How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks - not much fun on a non weight bearing plaster though I have difficulty even attending hospital appointments!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature