Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exchange/Outlook problems

Exchange/Outlook problems

We've been running into this problem that some new users and older users that get new computers will open up Outlook and get an error stating "The name could not be matched to a name in the address list.". They then have to type their username in a box and click Check Names before it will let them check their e-mail. Their Outlook is fully updated. Our Exchange server was recently updated, and I think that was when we first started running into this problem. Has anyone else seen this problem?

AOs Resident Troll
    I believe this is by design...

When you first run Outlook...you have to setup the user profile and exchange server.

If this continues after initial setup...then it could be another issue...such as communication.

What version of Outlook...and are you running in Cached mode?

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

We create the user account and e-mail account at the same time via AD w/ Exchange extensions. On the client, we have Outlook pointed to the Exchange server and user is handled by the domain login. Using Outlook 2003 and no using cached mode.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...I have always had to add the user even after the domain login...only once during the inital setup....Probably has to do with domain username is a different format then mailbox name

eg domain log on is JBlow
    mailbox is Joe Blow

I think that may be the issue???

I also run Outlook 2003 in Cached mode....

MLF

Account naming should not matter. Once the profile has been created and mapped to the mailbox you can do whatever you want with the mailbox display name and it will still open the correct mailbox. Just have to be clear on what you are changing when you say "name."

So I have to ask, how are you creating the outlook profiles? If you are using an automated tool to create the outlook profile for the subscriber I would suspect you are not fully creating the profile. You cannot create a "new" profile that only has the server information populated without giving it the user information. Well, you can do it, but when you select that profile you will get asked what mailbox to connect to. Exchange/outlook will use the AD account for authentication, but you still have to tell the profile what mailbox to open.

If they are trying to use an older profile, and during your exchange upgrade you changed information on their AD account, such as LEDN(legacy exchange distinguished name), they may need to re-check the name to map it to what it believes is the new account.

If they are using an older profile and the users were moved to a different server and the original server is no longer online the automated profile redirection will not happen. To have a profile redirected to the new location of a moved mailbox the old server has to stay online.
    Last edited by mohaughn; October 23rd, 2007 at 06:22 PM.

We just use the Active Directory Users and Computers tool to create the accounts (with Excahnge extensions, it asks if you want to create a mailbox for them). For brevity, we just make a copy of an existing account. This not only happens to new users, though. it also happens to old users that get a new computer. And not everytime, just a select few.

We've been banging our heads against this one for weeks now. Starting to drive us nuts.

By chance are the users "Hidden" from the Global Address book?

Oh yea and there is this

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309622
    Last edited by dinowuff; October 24th, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

dinowuff : no

Quote Originally Posted by delstar
    We just use the Active Directory Users and Computers tool to create the accounts (with Excahnge extensions, it asks if you want to create a mailbox for them). For brevity, we just make a copy of an existing account. This not only happens to new users, though. it also happens to old users that get a new computer. And not everytime, just a select few.

We've been banging our heads against this one for weeks now. Starting to drive us nuts.
    How are you creating the profile? If it is a new user account, or an existing user gets a new computer the user will get prompted to create a new profile. Part of that process is entering the mailbox name and doing a check name... So far, I've not heard you describe anything to me that sounds unusual. Outlook has to have a configured profile to use an exchange server.

AOs Resident Troll
    as stated in previous post...this is by design.

Profiles in oulook need to be configured before connecting to an exchange server.

If the profile has to repeatedly be created on the same machine...then you have another issue.

MLF