Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where You Learned.

I am still learning...aren't you? If not, you're doing it wrong.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I am, albeit a bit more slowly now than then.

I should have mentioned "peer to peer". This is what we Brits call "like to like"?

Not equal in age, experience or area............ just in interest

I go out for drinks with mates in IT and with people who use it at all levels. You just share information, software and the like, and help eachother out.

I believe this is described as "networking" in Northern America?

Haven't used that smilie before; looks like a windoze session to me

Yes, networking, or just plain friendship. Networking has more of a business-contact connotation, however not a denotation. It's implied.

What do I call AO then? A network of people or a group of friends? ??
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    Yes. When one gets meaningful answers from total (real-life) strangers, and then comes to trust and respect those responses and answers and opinions AND can accept constructive criticisms and outright rebukes without getting overly defensive...it's both. All depends on how one uses it and responds to it. AO is us. Always has been, as far back as I can remember.

O
    Last edited by Ouroboros; October 26th, 2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: incomplete
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by jockey0109
    It can be either, just as it can in life.

I have learned from quite a few places.. back in jr high school, I would visit a message board on phreak.org. There was a guy that posted there named DataWar, he was incredibly intelligent, and did not mind answering any question. That board got shut down, so I started visiting security/IT channels on IRC. I found that some of those guys were pretty arrogant... and I got kind of turned off of message boards/chat servers... I started reading books and websites on the subject. Trial and error played a big part too. It wasn't until I found AO that I got back into the forums. AO has been a great learning tool. Search old threads and tutorials. There is a wealth of information here.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

My Tandy 1000 came with a DOS 2.2 Manual and a Microstf Basic programing book. My school also had TRS-80's when I was in the 3rd grade on up. They taught a cool drawing program called snake, and had district wide contests (was fun and competitive).
    Later, I ran a BBS for kids, because I was tired of the must be 18 BBS's that existed. Because kids should be able to play Legend of the Red Dragon. I learned some BBS stuff from an older guy I knew from Bowling. My DOS skills came in handy with batch files for BBS.
    Then I went to community college and got a job as a lab assistant. Which allowed me to sit in any class I wanted, mainly I worked the NT 3.51 Workstation and Server classes and the Novell 3.12 classes.
    Then I got my start as a peon at a medium sized company. After 3 months I had learned the things college doesn't teach, like routers, firewalls, switches. After a 1 1/2 yrs of working as a network admin I finally got the title. Another couple years became a Sr. Network Admin, and security became an issue. After focusing on security for a few years I got the title of Network Security Admin, same job different title.
    I'll be starting a new job shortly with an even better title.

Things to help you learn.
    Make goals of different things for yourself to learn, put a lot of things on the list and if you learn half you're doing good. When you are updating your list later, add some of the things you removed because they were hard to understand and see if the second time helps.
    If you wonder how something works....figure it out.
    Learn things that will help you now, things that you can't use right away you'll be more likely to forget. If you no longer have to work on something and are afraid you'll forget it, hone the skill during your free time.
    Remember to keep everything in context on how things work together. If you can't understand the total picture it makes fixing it or knowing how to protect it hard.
    Books are nice, if you can afford them. Conferences are cool. Free siminars are good for eating.

Just like in all things, if you do not enjoy doing it, you will probably not be good at it. If you like doing it and are willing to sacrafice your free time, you will be really good at it.