Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know about the Firewall but what about the honey pot

I know about the Firewall but what about the honey pot

Hey guyz help me out with the honey pot what is it and how does it operate ... what is the function of it since u'll know that i m newbie and this is my 2nd post

well if u'll have the full explanation for firewall then please post that also

thx for the help
    regards
    King Kong
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hi kingkong, glad to see you can post normally

What you are asking is a bit large for a forum.............

Basicly the "honeypot" is like the old insect trap in real life. What it does is present an apparently vulnerable system to the outside (internet) World; then wait to see what takes the "bait" (honey)

A "firewall" is what it means in civil engineering............ a barrier.............. it contols incoming and outgoing communications.

I am aware that you live in a country where you may not be able to use internet searching to the extent that some of us can. I am also aware that English is not your first language.............I would ask my fellow members to understand and respect this.

Good luck,

Johnno

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong

well if u'll have the full explanation for firewall then please post that also

King Kong
    Hey KingKong,

Just as I recommended to you in a different thread regarding anti-virus and anti-spyware, if you are looking for a total solution to the online threats, go with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. It isn't free, but considering the job it does, I think it is worth it. It includes a firewall (that was its original function), and is very reliable and user friendly.

Other options include Norton Internet Security and Iolo Professional, all provide anti-virus/spyware and firewall protection.

Welcome to AO! Hope you enjoy yourself here.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

amazing ppl on this forums canknow many things about me as i think u guyz must have done some IP trace and all

yes it is ture that there many of sites blocked frm the ISP and if u talk about hacking which is difficult task here and even if u suceed u need to escape from the ISP ppl as they are good in tracing a criminal and finally if u actually do it then i can only say one thing "Professional"

other thing is my frist language is not english

i appreciate your concern to my reply and once again i would like to thank about the suggest about the anti viruses and firewalls

Thanks
    KingKong

yes it is ture that there many of sites blocked frm the ISP and if u talk about hacking which is difficult task here and even if u suceed u need to escape from the ISP ppl as they are good in tracing a criminal and finally if u actually do it then i can only say one thing "Professional"
    Your internet provider is doing you a favor. Children use the H-word to make very medial computer related tasks seem more exciting. Drop it and start using actual computer terminology. By failing to do so, you're going to hold yourself back both linguistically and technologically.

Hmmmm,

I didn't read KingKong's post that way?

What I thought he was trying to say was that his ISP blocks a lot of sites (for political and religious reasons) and that attempting to circumvent this censorship ("hacking") would be a risky business unless you were very good.

I agree with that. Messing with a system where you don't understand what the security mechanisms and processes, are/aren't, is potentially very dangerous. I would say that this is particularly true of small countries with few ISPs, a small number of users and State imposed censorship.

As for the term "hacking" you are quite right. It has been abused so much in recent years that it no longer has any sort of clear meaning. I don't blame children for this; I blame the media hacks and drones. Errr, ummm, yeah............ I guess that's more or less the same thing?
    Last edited by nihil; October 28th, 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Grammar!

nihil as u say i totally agree with ur point as very less ppl knows about the mean ofhacking (preventing Cracking and preventing cyber crime )

where as actually criminal is a Cracker

well thats all from the part of defination

which has been totally changed to opposite

Even i want to go for professional Hacking (preventing Cyber Cime )

But i actually dont knw how and where to learn it

Regard
    Kingkong

Hi,

Personally, I don't like using the word "hacker" as it almost requires a definition of what exactly you mean each time you use it. This will give you some idea of different meanings and their evolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

"Crackers" are people who break security systems, long before computers people were "cracking codes" and "cracking safes" . This could be to gain access to a system or to remove security from proprietary software (DRM, licencing and so on). It is not neccessarily criminal in its own right, as penetration testing can be quite legitimate.

A lot of criminal activity is just that.......... "criminal" and merely uses a computer at the same technical level as a telephone or FAX machine; as a means of communication. Basically the crime is fraud in one form or another. Once again this has been going on long before computers were invented.

Then there are "malware authors" and "malware users". This is frequently criminal but not always so. In those cases I prefer the terms "malware researcher" and "malware tester".

I don't blame children for this
    The problem is that they get into computers to be something. If these people even had a true interest in technology then a underlying interest would have already made itself present... while this whole obsession with being something simply should not.

By now everyone has a computer and everyone has done something cool with them. There is no one left to impress with your false sense of success. So you can all just stop snapping your fingers and trying to get back into the beat generation because it just isn't happening. Its all equivalent to a Clinton joke which has lost both reference and humor; a nineteen nineties fad.