Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NO antivirus on my computer

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hi there guys

Panda active scan will not disinfect, it will let you know if something is there though. Which is good.

I went to a family member the weekend, took off their updated avast which was on there, put Panda on and it found a rootkit which was messing with the dialup connection. Fixed now ...

Moira - I thought you guys had a fast Inet connection overseas, scanning online shouldnt be a problem.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

*decides to skip his usual anti-antivirus rant and answer the question*

I'll go ahead and put my weight behind AVG. It seems to work better than most.

*just a little rant...* Antivirus programs are a worthless waste of system resources. Ditch them, use Opera to browse, turn off Javascript during fap sessions, and you'll do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cider

Panda active scan will not disinfect, it will let you know if something is there though. Which is good.
    Ah, I stand corrected then

Moira - I thought you guys had a fast Inet connection overseas, scanning online shouldnt be a problem.
    Fast internet connection? On these crap BT lines? We're behind just about every other developed country, and way behind some like Japan and the US. I have one of the fastest lines possible for a home user, and I get speeds of roughly 5Mb down, and everyone is capped at 448 kb up. You can organise bonded lines or business connections but these are expensive and impractical for most people.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

well, guys, I am lucky enough to have all my hadware and other applications working on Linux, no probs with antivirus. However i wanted to have a Windows virus scanner on Linux, so that I could scan my external HDD and prevent myself from infecting others who are clean. But surely I do not want a windows to be installed?

I tried wine. It hangs! I had to go root and kill wine server and the apps. Any other way?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

jockey,
    all antivirus scanners i know of (all platforms) share the same signature files (each company has of course their own signatures) for just that reason...they will detect viruses written for all os's affected...you don't have to worry about running a specific version (say avast.exe through emulation on linux). Running avast designed for linux, for example, will find the same viruses that could be on a windows machine if they are present on the machine.

in short, all antivirus scanners--no matter the os--will find all known viruses in the company's signature database. the main reason most people (and i) run antivirus on linux is so not to infect windows users

sorry if that didn't make sense or if i didn't understand your question
    -just trying to help
    Last edited by C:\Saw; March 28th, 2008 at 05:19 AM.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Guys please try out the Beta of the new active scan 2.0.

Its now compatible with Vista Sp1.

Can you guys check it out and let me know.

http://beta.activescan.com
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Dear C:\Saw,

I am not trying to prove you wrong or something. But just answer a question: there need not be a scanner for Linux viruses (as there is no need at least as of now). so (as I saw on clamav.net), you may be right as they allow the same versions to run on both OSes.

On the other hand, that sounds contradicting. Anyway thanks for enlightening.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Yes it is - and you can download a vista version too, here . The XP and Windows 2000 version is here.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

jockey,
    i figured i should have worded this better:
    i meant that even though antivirus scanners are designed for different operating systems, they will detect the same viruses as eachother on their respective architectures.
    that's all i meant.
    for instance, avast scanner for linux running on linux will detect the same viruses as avast scanner for windows running on windows. I do not mean that avast for linux works on windows or vice versa--that's not what i'm saying-- i just mean they have common virus signature files. In other words, Avast Linux will Not run on Windows and Avast Windows will Not run on linux-- i just mean if you have a windows machine and a linux machine with the same viruses on them, they will be equally detected as eachother.
    i think it isn't vital to scan for viruses every now and then on linux, but it is a good thing to do so that you don't pass them on to windows users through email or file transfer etc... and believe it or not, there are cases of working linux viruses...a good bit of them

so, no, it isn't necessary to scan for viruses on linux...but you better check for rootkits!
    sorry for the ranting... hope i made sense this time, if not oh well
    Last edited by C:\Saw; March 28th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

C:\Saw,

As I understood you, what you were saying was that the "signature" or "fingerprint" would be identical, no matter what the OS, because that is what identifies the malware?

Obviously the scanning engine code and stuff will be platform dependent, but the detection parameters will be consistent?

Having said that, I would expect there to be differences when an anti-malware uses behavioural and particularly sandboxing techniques? after all, if I try to run Windows malware it won't do anything, will it?

I recall that all Linux anti-malware apps were basically designed to protect Windows clients. Today they include stuff that is Linux only, but that is a small percentage.

Jockey~

But just answer a question: there need not be a scanner for Linux viruses (as there is no need at least as of now).
    I don't quite agree with that today........... more and more stuff is coming out.......... not particularly cross-platform, or OS specific, but more targeting common applications and services vulnerabilities. I take the simplistic view that if it runs on Linux, then it is a Linux virus?