Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NO antivirus on my computer

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I work for Panda ... so there online scan is great

Its called active scan.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...tm?track=83389
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

No way, I can't believe it, you didn't use an antivirus ? Even if you visit only reputable websites, if you are using LimeWire, Utorrent or any other P2P file sharing application it's impossible to keep your computer clean. Here it is some free and shareware popular security tools.

If you are looking for an antivirus/firewalls you can find them here

http://www.downloadbestsoft.com/Wind...-Firewall.html

You will also need an anti-spyware program ( sometimes good antiviruses doesn't have so high rates and efficiency in detection even if they claim that they offer you a good protection ) and you can get them here

http://www.downloadbestsoft.com/Wind...i-Spyware.html

For example, I am using Microsoft Windows XP SP 2. I do not have an firewall installed, my firewall is my default Windows firewall but I am running Kaspersky Antivirus, Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. All of them are being updated weekly ( excepting Kaspersky Antivirus which is on auto-update ). I am regularly update those 2 anti-spwyare tools weekly or as soon as an update is available and I am scanning my computer with them at least once a month and there are always some aggresive tracking cookies or some small adware. As a mention I am keeping my antivirus settings at a normal level with the following option ( excepting files since I don't want any important file to be deleted in case of an virus infection ) *Do not prompt for action - Block - If disinfection fails - Delete checked. I am using those combined methods of protection since 2004 and I didn't expose at least once my computer to a major infection, attack etc. I got hacked in 2003 since I didn't use any sort of firewall, antivirus or anti-spyware software. This is why I was so surprised that you didn't used any antivirus before.
    Last edited by danyelson; March 21st, 2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: I saw that a word was market with red and I also mispeled the word can with cand. Sorry I am a little tired right now

Even if you visit only reputable websites, if you are using LimeWire, Utorrent or any other P2P file sharing application it's impossible to keep your computer clean. Here it is some free and shareware popular security tools.
    My computer is living proof against your statement there.

No A/V whatsoever. Every few months or so I'll install AVG and run a scan, then uninstall. Actually I did that a week or two ago, and it came up clean as a whistle after months of not running any AV whatsoever. Spybot/Adaware came up clean too.

Thing is I am my antivirus.

If you are using LimeWire, Utorrent and P2P file sharing then you are lucky! I have spent the entire evening trying to get my new stupid router to port forward to a second PC. It works OK here, but will it hell seem to allow shareaza and emule to connect on my laptop! Well, emule connects, but with a low ID and I know it won't work as well. Shareaza won't connect at all. Limewire I switched to UPnP on both PVCs and they're fine.

So you're all lucky to have the chance to install trojans and viruses. Some of us are far more restricted
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicKnight
    My computer is living proof against your statement there.

No A/V whatsoever. Every few months or so I'll install AVG and run a scan, then uninstall. Actually I did that a week or two ago, and it came up clean as a whistle after months of not running any AV whatsoever. Spybot/Adaware came up clean too.

Thing is I am my antivirus.
    AK - do that Panda online scan - its free to scan.

If you come up clean I will bow down, doubt it though
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Panda online is good, but because it has to download so many temporary files, and because it scans absolutely everything, even the inside of zip folders, it takes ages to complete a scan. It would drive me mad - I prefer AVG.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Been a while since I used it -- Does Panda only scan, or does it also clean what it finds? I stopped using it for some reason, but now I can't remember why. :P

I used to use TrendMicro HouseCall with regularity, but I keep finding that the current version has a nasty habit of crashing browsers or just hanging up mysteriously.

It's not hard to keep mine clean though...my home computer is a clunker I have on life support that I pretty much use for web browsing.

As far as I know it does AngelicKnight .... from their website it would seem that all the products do a basic scan, identify and heal.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Free AVG is glorified junk if you ask me. My opinion is based largely in part on personal experience. But, I can also attest to the fact that I've read quite a few articles on free AV comparisons and free AVG was anything but impressive.

It strikes me as odd that it's promoted so vehemently on this site.
    Last I checked (which was about 2 months ago), free AVG is still putting up some pretty lame numbers. While I haven't used AntiVir or Avast, they seem to fair better than AVG in most free AV comparitives I've read about.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Avast I did find good, but I was never sure about the free stuff it scanned. AVG comes up with either "Trojan!" or "Finished!" after doing what appears to be a thorough scan. Avast briefly scans the file then disappears - it's not quite as reassuring as being told the file is OK.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature