Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NO antivirus on my computer

Yeah,

I didn't mention it because there isn't a Vista version yet and that's what Moira is using.

I've actually installed nihil's link to the control panel for the Vista firewall. After some initial teething troubles, I have to report that it's working OK. The main problem is that "disable all" is the default and if you accidentally OK that, it's very difficult to reverse for something like say, firefox. The computer is so busy fielding attempts to connect that in the case of my laptop it's too "busy" for ages to allow me to alter the firewall interface. That and the odd blue screen or crash seem to have been the only problems and it's a hell of a lot easier than configuring the outbound side of the Vista firewall yourself.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi guyz,

I mistakingly put a very old CD of Data of my company in the computer and now my computer is creating worms

multiple files

Known as "thumb.db"

and it is getting in each and every folder of my computer where ever there is a JPG file

i need to remove this or else it will slow down the whole PC

Regards
    KK
    Last edited by kingkong; January 7th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Its not a virus.... thumbs.db is a file responsible for the display of thubnails on pictures you see...

Its the database opf the thumbnails... and not a virus.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Yeah, thumbs should be no threat.

kingkong, I have managed my home computer the same way for quite some time now. Given I'm the only user, and I know how not to get myself infected, I find an AV solution to be an unnecessary consumption of resources (i.e. memory hog), so much like yourself, I just run the occasional online scan as well. I would say that's a pretty solid practice as long as you're confident that you really know what you're doing.

But don't get cocky...even we get firmly reminded on occasion that pride comes before the fall. Always keep a watchful eye!

Actually, McAfee is free and so is Symantec AV, with a catch. The US DoD has free versions of both programs and all their latest versions (personal, exchange, etc). They are free for military, and the military is allowed to give them away to friends and family at no cost. They are available on the Navy InfoSec website but you must be on a government network to access the downloads. Many people in the military don't even know this is available to them, so if you know anyone you can mooch off their benefits.

Also, ClamAV is free and portable...

well yeah thats a cool one

thumb.db came from no ware

i have just taken a look on the CD which was lying in the cubboard and when i openned it the PC went off i was in a suprise wat the hell happend
    i have around 17 mb of data of my accounting if that gets lost i would be in a greater problem with the company and myself i would have to do all the entries back to the system and after that also i dont know whether it is going to get tallied or not

still i have back up of december so i can work out for the jan work only

well when i started computer back to life i found this and the antivirus stopped working

and i found this new unknown file in the folders of mine this thing really scared me and finally there is only one reliance to me AO

thx to u guyz

so now i have a clear picture of this thumb.db thing so i can work normal tommorow

thx once again

Regards and respect
    KK
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

kingkong you can stop these thumbs files being created. They can be a blessed nuisence for instance when you go to zip up a batch of photos and there's one of these thumbs files in with the zipped photos.

Go to Folder Options > View, either from Explorer, or double click Folder Options in Control Panel. Check the radio button next to "do not cache thumbnails" and Windows will stop generating these files. I presume you have hidden files showing or you wouldn't be seeing thumbs.db, but if you've changed this setting then you need to be viewing hidden files and foldes to do this.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I was under the impression that Kerio was no longer free. Currently I'm using Norton's 2k7 firewall which IMO is far superior to their previous version, but I am curious to know what decent free firewalls are out there now.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I was under the impression that Kerio was no longer free. Currently I'm using Norton's 2k7 firewall which IMO is far superior to their previous version, but I am curious to know what decent free firewalls are out there now.
    I use to use ZoneAlarm when it was free and it worked like a bomb I dont know if it is free anymore?

Windows firewall is free ! Well not technically
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein