Vista Admin Errors?

Thread: Vista Admin Errors?

Question Vista Admin Errors?

So I'm playing around with Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, first install with this OS, and I've seem to run across a problem. On my administrator I don't have full administrator privileges... Weird isn't it? Any who I only have a problem with two programs (So far). Battlefield 2 I drop out of servers with an error "you don't have sufficient privileges." And when I try to load up DualCoreCenter it says that I must run this as an administrator. I briefly ran over Anti online to see if it had any answers, alas none, or at least none that I saw. And Google provided no help either. So... Have at it!
    H3xT0r
    Network Administrator
    "May god have mercy on my enemies.... Because I wont!" - General George S. Patton Jr.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    is this administrator account the inbuilt Vista account ?
    OR
    is it 'your' created account ?

if it is your created account, check it IS set as administrator [obvious, but we can miss things ]
    as it is a 'home' edition, I don't know if your [local] computer managment will have a users and groups section, but if it DOES, check that your account is set into the admin group

don't forget to check at MS, mail them a question too
    and they have a forum there too, that is pretty good at this sort of stuff

and, as always, please update the thread as and when you figure it out
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I don't know if this will help, but when I come across that sort of problem I usually try to create a new user account with the required permissions, just incase it is some sort of corruption issue.

Just Another Geek
    Is it the administrator account or the first account created?

The first account created will have administrators privileges but UAC will use a "regular" user's token for everything. Try turning off UAC to see if that helps.

Dropping off servers in BF with that message usually indicates a problem with PunkBuster which, unfortunately, needs administrators access.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yea it is on the Administrator, which might I note was a pain to turn on. As for UAC; I turned that off first thing to see if that was it, alas not the problem.

I tried to give Microsoft a call about it, which was a poor choice, because they wanted me to pay a hefty fine of 60 dollars for Tech Support. A load of BS IMO. Any who... Home Premium doesn't have the management you spoke of Foxy. At the moment I am simply going to switch this system over to XP home and wait for SP2 for Vista. Haha.

I am going to try to install this OS on another PC I have here to see if it receives a similar error. Also some might want to know that I did Re-install this OS to see if I got a bad instillation, that doesn't seem to be the problem either.
    H3xT0r
    Network Administrator
    "May god have mercy on my enemies.... Because I wont!" - General George S. Patton Jr.

Sorry, I took your
    first install with this OS
    literally

If you re-installed then it doesn't sound like a corruption issue.

1. With BF 42 try going to the executable or one of the shortcuts and right clicking on it. Select properties and check the "run as administrator" option.

2. Try the same trick with DualCoreCenter.

I know, I know, please humour me and give it a try. Vista is not yet what I would consider "mature".

Good Luck
    Last edited by nihil; October 27th, 2007 at 03:50 AM.

Well after much fustration and a few packs of cigerates I've managed to get Vista working properly. Or about as proper as it's going to get. xD I did another full reinstall (attempt number 6) after getting ahold of a friends copy of Vista Prem. 64bit. And now everything is working A-Okay. I haven't yet done the updates just yet but my father hinted to me that they might have been the problem too. Not sure just yet but I have managed to get my programs going which makes me happy for the while.

I'll give another post if after the Updates it messes up again. But in the meantime I am comfident that it was something wrong with my CD. Not sure just yet.

Thanks for the help all ^_^

PS~
    Nihil- I did give the "Run as Administrator" a shot, didn't work. It would give me the error saying I didn't have Administrator rights, which was the whole problem. :-P I think it might have been something to do with the CD being messed up, not sure becuase it may have also been something with the Updates. None the less I thank you for the advice.
    H3xT0r
    Network Administrator

I hate to double post however...

So I installed all the updates and what not, installed everything as I did before and it's all running clean.

So my final conclusion for why my Admin account was acting as though it didn't have the proper permissions was that the instillation disk was somehow corrupt. If anyone else comes across this error and finds that it was something different please let me know via email. h3xt0r@comcast.net

Thanks for the help ^_^
    H3xT0r
    Network Administrator

Since this is my first post, I'm going to take a brief second to state that I work for a major PC manufacturer as a senior phone tech support agent.

Yesterday evening I had 3 phone calls that I assisted agents with on similar issues.

The most amazing of which was a customer who had somehow lost the permission to view his own pictures with Windows Photo Gallery.

I can't state that the following would work for everyone, but this, at least at the time, worked for the customer.

I enabled the hidden administrator account in Vista from a command prompt that was ran in elevated mode. (cmd.exe Right-click, "Run as Administrator")
    net user administrator /active:yes
    I then instructed the customer to log off of the account he was logged into and to log into the now accessable Administrator account, which was not password protected.
    We reentered the eleveated command prompt on the Administrator account (Which to my understanding, elevated operations for certain functions is required when the User Account Control is active. Its part of its security.)
    net user accountname /active:no
    net user accountname /active:yes

Customer logged off the Admin account, back into his normal profile, and he had his access as the admin back. And for security purposes I had him disable the Administrator account again.

Again, I apologize if this doesn't work for you in the future, but for the customers I helped yesterday evening it worked.