Thread: Changing display settings in XP command line

Changing display settings in XP command line

I am stuck for a little while using somebody elses computer. They do not want multiple users set up so I'm stuck sharing the same login they use. They prefer 1024x768, I prefer 1280x1024. They refuse to learn even something as simple as opening the display settings and changing the rez back down if I happen to forget. So what I want to do is make a nice simple batch file to toss on the desktop that they can just run and it will reset the display settings to their happy 1024x. To do this I figure I'm going to need to figure out how one goes about using the command prompt to change the screen resolution in xp and for the life of me I'm not finding where/how to do this. I know there's a utility to change the rez for different users but apparently this only works when a user is logging in, so if there's no way to directly change the screen resolution via the command line, somehow re-running the user login config so this utility does its job should work just as well.

Thanks

I am stuck for a little while using somebody elses computer.
    Then you are indeed "stuck"

However, you should at least be grateful that someone else will let you "share" their box?

They refuse to learn even something as simple as opening the display settings and changing the rez back down if I happen to forget.
    So would I, actually I would buy a baseball bat and "educate you" NOT to forget................. Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

We have a simple rule over here (in the UK):

If you borrow something that is not yours............. return it in the same condition as you received it........ that means with the same settings.

That bit IS SERIOUS.............

No sympathy................. NO help...... at least from me. And I don't think that the co-user would actually appreciate your suggestion?

I think that nihil is right from a side. However you can simple ask the person whatever you want to learn so that he shows it to you and note it down on a paper? Well, yes thats almost a stupid way to learn using a computer but then, if you want to learn, sometimes, stupid methods are also helpful!

Of course, no one likes that someone else does something wrong to their stuf and people ARE paranoid in some of such cases (just like me!!?) and they won't allow you to. So untill you get your hands on your own machine, keep straining your head to learn from whatever you can.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

well well dude on this i can only suggest one thing that is change the display when u use and change it back to normal when u dont

ne ways if u say that ppl not interested in learning display setting (obvious it is simple) but let me inform that in dubai where i m working a company and here are ppl who use the computer from last 9 years still they dont knw how to use a flash drive in which u dont need to do much but just insert in the USB

well this is the greatest example i can give .........

more over if u want then my other collegue is mre above him he called me saying that audio is not working i saw mute button and all and finally i found that the switch was turned off which he was not able to find

(on this i can tell one thing that either they are lazy or else they are not interested to look into the matter)

Regards
    Kingkong
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Hmmm,

You might even consider the management software that comes with the videocard/chipset?

This rather old box has an ATi Radeon 7000 series in it. There is a management tool icon that appears in the tooltray that will pop up resolution and number of colours.

My nVidias have the same................

And the batch file & icon approach is so bloody dated? I would go for a hotkey at least?

Hell, I have the batchfiles I wrote to do this in Win3.11 but that was a long time ago

http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2005/02/labs_tip_change.html

Download this utility and create a simple batch script as a result.

batch file to toss on the desktop
    One or two down from HKCC\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\ and then you use reg add to edit the registry.