ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) some java problems

Thread: ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) some java problems

ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) some java problems

Hi All,
    Started to play with linux and instaled ubuntu 7.4 and yesterday upgraded to 7.10 on line.
    Everything went smooth and works fine.Except the same problem i had when try to play ayhoo games.It says the following:
    This game cannot be played using your current settings. Please, try the following:

* Check to make sure that java is enabled in your browser. (learn more)
    * If you do not have java installed you may download it here.
    * To learn more about java support for browsers, visit our help pages.
    I have installed java as i activated synaptic package manager and downloaded it.
    I am using mozilla browser.Was playing around trying to figure out what is blocking it(just in mozzila settings).As i am windows user my thinking and working around linux is useless.
    Is there firewall enebled which prevent it or it needs some software for animation?
    As i am using both on dual boothing system i noticed that when downloading with windows usually i get to 250kb/sec and with linux up to 700kb/sec.
    Thanks for your help.

In the address bar of mozilla, type 'aboutlugins' Check to see if you have the java plugin in there. I just recently installed 7.10 as well, but have not messed with java yet, I seem to remember on some of the older distros that you had to make a symbolic link in your plugin directory to a file in the java directory... I will probably mess around with it some today, and if I figure it out, I will post more.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

When you downloaded your java plugin, did you get the one provided by Sun, or the GJC plugin? If it is the GJC go into your package manager, search for GJC and remove it. Go back to the java game, click for the plugin, and make sure you get the one that says something like 'the java plugin 6.0' ... it will automatically download and install, and you don't have to worry about messing with any sort of symbolic link. Yesterday I downloaded a flash player called Gnash... it didn't work very well, so I had to remove it and install adobe flash player. I am glad to see that there are a lot of GNU plugins coming out, but until they work a little better, I will stick with the bigger names.

edit: I just downloaded Sun Java 6.0, and played some java based yahoo games without any trouble.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

hi westin,
    i did play around with it today.Uninstaled gjc plag, reinstalled java 6 and still nothing.so i had it for now.
    Will go back to windows and see when i am in better mood.

When applet starts to load it says missing additional plug to be installed.when i click it comes with options with Java 6plug in.clicking it to install it it shows its already instaled.
    Better have a breake now or i will uninstall a lot.
    thanks for your sugestions.i am on good track.Will keep you informed with my progress.
    Thanks