Thread: Router Config

Router Config

I have a Linksys wrt54g router, and was looking at the security settings in the web based configuration... For some reason under VPN, it had:

IPSec Passthrough
    PPTP Passthrough and
    L2TP Passthrough

all enabled.

I have no need for VPN that I can think of... in fact I really don't know all that much about it other than the basics... does anyone see a problem with disabling these services? I have one wired system, and one wireless system connected to this router... Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Westin
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Those don't enable a VPN on your router. They enable the ability to create a VPN tunnel through your router. So, if you use a VPN to connect to your work, then you need to keep this enabled. I recently had a problem where I was unable to create a tunnel from a 802.11n wifi router I was connected to. The problem ended up being an issue with the vpn passthrough feature. The vendor didn't patch the firmware yet, so I had to put my machine in the DMZ in order to use my VPN client. The DMZ in this case was still on a private network... the wireless was just segmented from the wired devices.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phishphreek again.
    Thanks Phish ... That explains a lot.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Just Another Geek
    Some VPN protocols aren't NAT 'aware'. 2 ways to solve it, use a protocol thats NAT 'aware' or let the router/firewall modify the packet. These settings allow the router to modify the VPN IP inside a packet. So it NATs the original packet (as normal NAT does) and it NATs the VPN packet inside it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I could be completely off the mark here, but mainly what I was wondering was, should I disable these settings if I have no need for them? I have always thought, the fewer services, the better...

-HST

Just Another Geek
    There's no service as there is nothing listening.. But you can turn it off if you don't use it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.