Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Types of IP address

Types of IP address

Guyz i have not found a single discussion of types of IP addresses...

for examples there are dynamic IP (heard its very much secured)

well i dontknow how would be define dynamic IP

well the times of IP's are

xx.xxx.x.xxx (forexample 10.207.2.200)
    similarly xxx.xxx.x.xx (192.168.0.22)
    and many many ofcoz i dont have the knowledge of this but i want to know about this...

if i can get a explanation on this ..

about the IP its about which IP is how much bits what is it called and what is the plus point and negative point of that IP

so if i can get a lil about this i think network security will be more closely looked if this is discussed with u guyz

thx for ur excenlent replies

Regards
    Kingkong
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

IP addresses are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to security considerations. What matters is:

1. How you configure your system
    2. How you manage your system
    3. How you use your system

A "static" IP address (if known) does present a sitting target, whereas a "dynamic" IP address would be a moving target in theory. However:

1. Many "dynamic" addresses change relatively infrequently
    2. Your "dynamic" IP has been used by someone else who may result in you getting targeted by mistake.
    3. Thinking that dynamic addresses are more secure is nonsense. At best it is "security through obscurity" and that is a very false sense of security.
    4. Undisclosed static IP addresses will get attacked anyway.

I just looked at my firewall log..............

Access attempts: 92,074
    Intrusion attempts: 13,475

And I have a dynamic IP that changes every time I log on.

These are bots, worms, and scumbags that are randomly trawling the net looking for vulnerable systems (OK some internet "noise" as well )

OK, most of these "threats" just try to communicate with an IP. If they don't get a response they move on to the next one. If they do find an active computer, or know that there is one there, they still have to find an open port running a vulnerable service to proceed any further. Or possibly get a user to do something very stupid from the inside.

In reality, security begins at home (that's 127.0.0.1 )

The only exception I can think of is DoS and DDoS attacks against known IP addresses. Even in this case the IP address is spurious because the targets want legitimate communication, and have to broadcast their IP for this to be possible. For example, how would e-commerce work if this were not the case?

Like in a post room, most packets are harmless but every now and then one is a bomb.

king kong what exactly are your trying to achieve? IP address's are merely a way of communicating to each other. like when you have something to say to joe on 3rd floor, you know that you can call him on extension 208 and he'll pick up and listen to what you have to say (check out OSI Model). and whats this about plus point and negative point? Security implemented at an IP level?? no such thing, unless your talking about segregating your Network, like i said you need to tell us what your trying to achieve. (if this then do this)

IPs have 4 octets(8bits per octet making 32bits) but we also have IPv6 which is 128 bits in a whole different ball game (hexa). I advise you to break down your question, then guys in here can help. cheers man
    see the sarcasim in my smile ????

Hi KK,

For descriptions of the workings of IP addresses please try these links. They are just the technical side rather than security but might help your studies?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IP_address.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

ya what i thought was wrong but also correct....

as the phase goes everything has 2 sides good and the bad

like we have to check the other side also

as much as i say that dynamic IP is much more secured as it keeps on changing everytime u log on but at the sme time u may be attacked for no reason

hey dude Can u quote on this

how is a dynamic IP ___.___.___.___
    Static IP ___.___.___.___
    etc ___.___.___.___

that wuoldbe more helpfull..

Thx and regards
    Kingkong

as was mentioned above, dynamic IPs don't necessarily change every time you log on. They may do so if you have a dialup connection, but with DSL, and even more so with cable, they change very infrequently. I've had the same IP on a cable connection for as long as ten months.

Hey thx for giving me a short from which i really liked "KK"

Back to the topic

its exactly the same thing which i was asking for how is the description of bits done which one is better and which one can be the bad and less secure (Plus and negative i refer to advantages and disadvantages) for the type of IP i use
    1. Many "dynamic" addresses change relatively infrequently
    2. Your "dynamic" IP has been used by someone else who may result in you getting targeted by mistake.
    3. Thinking that dynamic addresses are more secure is nonsense. At best it is "security through obscurity" and that is a very false sense of security.
    4. Undisclosed static IP addresses will get attacked anyway.

I just looked at my firewall log..............

Access attempts: 92,074
    Intrusion attempts: 13,475

And I have a dynamic IP that changes every time I log on.

These are bots, worms, and scumbags that are randomly trawling the net looking for vulnerable systems (OK some internet "noise" as well )
    like for dynamic IP i nihil told it has bad point where as i have told for dynamic IP to be more secured but again that has a problem with it

ne ways i think i have got the correct quote by nihil for the link of wiki pedia

ne waysthx a tone again for the help and reply

and yes please give further knowledge in the same topic for me as well as for other novioces here...........

Regards
    KK

Hmmm, not really.

There are some numbers that are "reserved" for non-internet use, for example I think that these are:

10.xxx.xxx.xxx
    172.xxx.xxx.xxx
    192.xxx.xxx.xxx

Apart from that the numbers are assigned in blocks to Registrars who then assign them to the next level of users.

Now, how the users assign them is up to their own choice. Just looking at ISPs as an example, some may break them down into end user class (business, home, and so on) They might also divide them into static and dynamic blocks, but I think that would come naturally from the user type.

Business and institutional users would normally require a static address, whereas home users would not.

The real difference is in the service contract. You normally have to pay extra for a guaranteed static address.

I am not aware of any consistent way of determining if an IP address is dynamic or static from the number alone.

some ISPs use the words static or dynamic in the user identification string.

well today or may be by saturday i wil bring some real info on this

today i m going to the library and will definately bring the right info what i wanted well hope u guyz will help me out if i fail

the only problem is i m not able to explain what i wanted to know

but let hope

Regards
    KK