Thread: iPod Service

iPod Service

Hello everyone, I don't own an iPod and for this simple reason I don't need the iPod service running in the background. I'm using Windows XP professional and the simple solution is to go into the administrative tools and disable the service (which works as long as you don't use iTunes ever again). As soon as you open Itunes up it switches the iPod service, which I just disabled, back to manual. What I'm trying to accomplish here is using iTunes without the iPod service running in the background. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Some information about my system if it helps: Insprion 9300 running Windows XP Professional, and using the latest iTunes 7.5.0.20

Alright, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it. So you know, ITunes is a digital media player made by the same company as the IPod. The ITunes program is also meant to assist and be used for the IPod music player. Now, if you don't own an IPod then you should really just disregard anything IPod-related that comes up and just use ITunes as function it normally is, which is a digital media player.

AFAIK, the only way the IPod background/features pop-up is if an IPod has been connected to a USB. Otherwise, when first downloaded, I believe ITunes goes right to the ITunes Storefront.

Please, if you can, re-iterate what exactly you need help with if I haven't provided sufficient assistance here.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I think he wants to use iTunes without the IPodService.exe running.

Sounds like he disables the service in services.msc and then when he launches iTunes it changes the service from disabled to manual and starts it backup.

I cant say I ever tried to disable so Im not much help here
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

"Sounds like he disables the service in services.msc and then when he launches iTunes it changes the service from disabled to manual and starts it backup."

That’s exactly right. Every time I disable the service it starts back up as soon as I run iTunes. It’s not a huge deal, I just don't like extra services running in the background that I don't need.