Where's my missing space on the C drive?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's my missing space on the C drive?

Where's my missing space on the C drive?

I recently had a friend point out something strange about his C drive space, and checking my own, I noticed that I have exactly the same puzzle.

We're running Vista Home Premium (this isn't a problem on my second desktop running XP) and if the individual folders are selected and right clicked, properties will show the total size as being around 25 GB less than Explorer gives as being used space. For instance, my C drive says (roughly) 37 GB free out of 80 GB, but totalling the individual folders gives 26 GB, which ought to mean 54 GB was free. It seems that Vista is hiding something that selecting "view hidden folders" still doesn't show. I don't see system restore anywhere, but then I'm not sure absolutely sure where Vista stores it or what it's named. And surely if you select to view all folders everything on your PC should then be visible? I wouldn't have thought 25 GB was put aside for system restore anyway, if I knew that I'd change it straight away!

Has anyone else noticed this or have any idea what the cause could be? It's too large an amount to be explained in the rounding up of bytes and like I say, doesn't affect the C drive in my computer running XP.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you checked how much Trash is set to use? And how big is your swap?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'v had users ask me this as well. Vista has locked you out of most of the folders in the OS even though you are an administrator. If you go into c:\users and get properties on your profile folder you will see how much stuff is in it, if you go to another users folder you will not be able to see unless you take ownership of that folder. So in short to see everything you would have to take full ownership of the entire drive using your user account. Just to warn you this might mess up a lot of stuff as i havn't tried it.

Trash is set to 3843MB max, paging file 2346 max. Neither account for that sort of space. I'm inclined to agree there must be files I cannot see, which is a bit annoying having specifically asked Vista to let me see operating system files!

Actually I was able to see the size of any user's profile - not that anyone has anything much stored on this PC other than myself. You're right though, I don't have full access to the drive, unlike the system or the administrator's group for some strange reason as I'm supposed to be an administrator!

Either way, it's yet another niggle about Vista. I know they mean well, but the system should be mine to mess up if I want to. Before I do a reinstall I think I'll experiment with drive ownership - I tend to agree, it's best left alone unless I accept major subsequent problems, as the folder sharing is the most convoluted, irritating part of Vista's networking. What's the point of making it easier to connect to other computers around your house if you're then prevented from accessing any of the contents apart from the public folder in C:\Users? I've managed to access folders on my local computer by the most ridiculous long way round which includes taking ownership, but network folders - forget it. There's a lot in Vista that needs more work.
    Last edited by Moira; November 14th, 2007 at 01:18 AM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Just Another Geek
    Is it FAT32 or NTFS formatted? If it's FAT32 the "lost" space might be due to slack. FAT32 uses huge blocks on big disks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_space
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi Moira, how is the recovery from your operation going (only three months to New Zealand)?

Please get this utility and run it:

http://www.auslogics.com/system-information/

I believe that it is Vista friendly

Look under "devices" and "hard disk drives"

Cheers

Hi there nihil! I have that utility already and you're right, it's very vista friendly and does a marvellous job. For a start it defrags all my oher parrtitions, something I could never do in vista. But I only have the defrag utility - are you pointing me towards something else?

My recovery is slow and depressing. As well as catching a really nasty stomach bug where my family isisted on a doctor being called out, it's been hard to motivate myself to get out of bed in the morning. Everything is such an effort that it seems easer to stay put I had all these plans for finishing my book on visual studio and being expert at programming in vb.NET by the time I went back to work, and familiar with modern website dsign. Needless to say I've done no visual studio and have decided to employ someone to redesign m index page as I've never been that inerested in website design nor have I any artistic talent whatsoever!

Seems ironic that later in 2008 I'm on a panel judging a competition held for youngsters to see who can design the best site! I'm on the local BCS committee and this is to celebrate 50 years - we've got some money from headquarters to spend on commemorating the event.

I still mean to phone you - in fact how does now sound? I'll post what it was like in the off topic section here

SirDice, the drive is NTFS formatted.
    Last edited by Moira; November 14th, 2007 at 04:39 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hey, Moira,

Right now would be fine, because I am at my home number

Moderators are allowed 4 double posts per year

are you pointing me towards something else?
    Yes my dear, on the same website:

It is another free tool

Two minutes - I just hae to get a load of washing hung up!

And LOL re the moderators double posting - naughty!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature