Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's my missing space on the C drive?

It's hard to see how much Vista is using since the System Volume Information is hidden. However you can restrict the amount of space used, by going to the command prompt and typing this:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=4GB

The trouble is that MS decided that System Restore would occupy a certain percentage of a drive and large drives can lose a lot of space that way.

I've turned indexing off on the C drive. It's now taking forever to apply attributes and there are some folders it hasn't given me permission to change.

Yes, I totalled all the folders on the C drive and no, there's no unallocated space or bad sectors or other obvious explanations.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Ekkss!

Double post is not allowed

Ding Ding Ding

i have already done this once in the topic of Distance / Online Studies.................

Hope the Moderator have forgiven me for the frist mistake

back to the Topic
    Then i think while configuring the HDD the best solution for VISTA users is to keep the drives Split the HDD into minimum 60GB so that the space fixed for the HDD would not be taken back for system restore as the percentage desided by MS?

or

Is there ne other solution Moira?

Regards and Respect
    KK
    Last edited by kingkong; November 18th, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hi KK,

As I understand things that wouldn't really work because Windows will create the folder in all NTFS drives and partitions (not sure about FAT though?)

The other thing to bear in mind is that MS designed Windows to work this way for a reason. It might not be prudent to mess with it other than via the tools that they provide.

It is a similar story with the page file. MS logic is 1.5 x RAM ( although you can get away with 1x + 128Mb). If you have a lot of RAM you might seem never to use it............... but you will if you get a kernel dump and you want to use it for trouble shooting, you certainly will!

It does create system restore at any rate, on every partition if you check the box next to that partitular drive in system properties. That's easy to contol, either type the above for the C drive and disable it altogether on other data drives. The other drives and partitions didn't have any unaccounted for space, it's just the C drive. Apart from limiting system restore, the size of drives nowadays makes it less of a problem if a fair percentage is used up like this. After all, I wouldn't mess with the system files I can see to try and gain extra space as I don't really need it - I would just like to see what's on my sytem, as youdid in XP if you selected "view hidden files and folders".
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Do you know, that's the first thing I always do after an install, but when I looked, "hide operating files" wasn't unchecked. I don't know how I overlooked that, but as it's been the same since the start of XP I can't believe I missed it!

And of course, the size of the total number of folders in the C drive now totals the size given in Computer! I'm sure that'll be the case for the friend whose computer was showing the same chunk of missing space, I must ask him.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi.................. 25 posts before I got you an answer

No wonder I have so many bloody posts?

We got there in the end, that's the main thing!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well i totally agree with nihil on this point the MS must have dones this setting in the presence of mind to solve bigger problems and in the faith of his customers satishfaction.

as where now a days the Prices and the working condition of GB's with higher levels of RAM It is surely possible

Regards and Respect
    KK
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Actually I don't think I have had one that bad for about two years, when we had a guy with a display problem.

Took about 25 posts before I asked the right question and found that he had over overclocked his video card!

Mind you, this is not the best support medium. I far prefer hands on face to face, then telephone. The problem with this method is you get distracted whilst you are waiting for a response, and there is the time zone delay problem?