Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown problem and unable to delete certain programs.

Hybrid View

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Shutdown problem and unable to delete certain programs.

Hi all

I have two problems. When I shutdown my computer [Start > Turn off Computer] [XP SP2] ; as I do this my PC freezes around two minutes and then the options come up [Turn off, restart etc].

What could be the cause of this.

Also when trying to delete certain programs using the program uninstaller or ADD/REMOVE programs an error comes up with "Unable to uninstall , check that its not safe mode etc etc"

I also use CCleaner and have tried to uninstall through this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you .
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Which programs give you problems in Add/Remove? Are they applications that could have been bundled with spyware/adware? Just a thought.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Exactly what I was thinking westin. It has been a while since I have used XP, but when it was my main OS I would have problems like this too... Most of the programs I would have problems with were freeware/shareware (which in turn usually had a form of spyware/adware/virus/trojan etc...) that had either no uninstall file, or a file that windows add/remove program didn't recognize as an uninstall file... So you have to go in and manually delete the files.

As for your computer freezing when you tell it to shutdown, this could be a number of things. incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver. conflicting programs, bad hardware...

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
    this site tells you how to troubleshoot to narrow this down...

Good Luck.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Some of the programs are from torrents but some others aren't. Im getting the error with most programs. I will have to manually uninstall.
    Will I need to do registry changes and deletes there too?

Also could you people recommend a free anti- Spyware proggie. I got S&D and HJT however still get these programs, whats your thought on ad-aware from lavasoft?

Thanks again.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

More probs

Hi all again.

See the attachments when trying to install IE7.

The second error is what I am getting when trying to uninstall / install programs.

For example windows defender ... <uninstalling this as I cannot update it for some reason> and trying to reinstall.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Cider; October 25th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Hmm, that is odd. Have you tried googling those two errors?

I have not come across either of those errors before... I agree with AngelicKnight about googling for answers... as far as anti-scum software... I would add adaware by lavasoft to your arsenal, and try running the scans in safemode. Generally you will have a higher success rate that way. ... maybe run some online scans as well. panda, trendmicro etc... what AV are you running? I like AVG... I am sure that different members of AO can point you towards several other good options. Even if your problem isn't related to spyware/adware/viruses it never hurts to make sure that your system is clean. I will be interested to see how this pans out... but for now... time for another beer
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353

these will fix your error messages problem (from what microsoft says)
    as for a good anti spyware/adware, westin already recommended what I would have...

Good Luck.

I prefer to ask here before googling as I have come across some arb websites. I am running AVG free edition fully updated. Runs a scan every morning. Found nothing with that. I ran an online trend micro scan however I will run one as we speak.

Thanks again guys.

Ill keep everyone updated if anyone is interested in my results.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

My machines shut down pretty slowly, but that is mostly because I have set the Registry option to clear the pagefile on shutdown.

It sounds as if you have two or more apps that are not playing nice on shutdown.

You might try closing as much as you can manually and see if that speeds things up. Then gradually close fewer and fewer items until you find the culprit(s).