Start Menu Annoyance!

Thread: Start Menu Annoyance!

Start Menu Annoyance!

I really hate how in Vista when you move a folder in the start menu, the next time you go back, it's still where it was originally. I moved Nokia PC Suite folder into 'Accesories' before. And just now, Nokia PC Suite folder (with no contents) was still in the root of the start menu.

It's really annoying because everytime I move something, I have to move it twice. Does anybody know of a solution? I can't find that exact problem with a google search.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I am actually going through Vista training at work right now... [AO is blocked though... bastards.] if I can remember I will try to ask my instructor about this issue. you might have to be patient with me though... I have been waking up at 5am... so my brain hasn't been functioning normally..
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I had the same problem, I found that I had to manually move the folder in a explorer window... so if I wanted to move Nokia PC Suite to accessories I would find the folder cut it and paste it to my accessories folder.

C:\Users\root\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

just another amazing feature in windows vista =)

Good Luck.

I talked to my instructor, he said that he has never experienced this issue. We tried to replicate the problem, but to no avail... Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

what vista platform is it? do you have admin rights etc... because mine is just home or basic, and I have admin rights; it wont let me just drag and click in the start menu.

lol, I find myself asking this alot at work.

"Do you have User Account Control off?"

I can move things in my Start menu around, and keep them, after a UAC prompt tells me I need eleveated privileges to do this.

I try the same thing with UAC off, and it will replace the blank folder after a reboot. I've tried it twice, same result.

I don't know why, but I'm currently looking into the answer, both with resource books and on the web.

If anyone has a different result, or an answer, please share I'm curious.

I think zallison might be on to something. We have UAC turned on, so maybe that is why it works.

-HST

I'm going to look into it tonight at work. I have the luxory of having 30 or so windows Vista machines to work with.

Part of my job description allows me to break them on purpose.

I'll try some experiments, see what we can figure out, and if I come up with a consistant result on the machines, we'll have narrowed it down