Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: solid state hard drives

about the cleaning thing.

i tried opening the laptop up and i got stuck because i removed all the screws and the back cover was not opening up.

and so.... i called gateway.....for the last time..

me: i need to clean the laptop. please send me instructions on how to open laptops and clean them.
    Customer care: what? Please repeat that?
    me: i need to clean the laptop. please send me instructions on how to open laptops and clean them.
    C C: you dont open laptops, we do... send it to us and we will do the cleaning.
    me: am in romania
    C C: send it to america
    me: like hell... i want to open it myself.
    C C: you lose the warenty
    me: i lost it last year. send me instructions or i might have to use the crowbar on it.
    C C: hold on...let me ask my manager......

and then the line got disconnected.

once after a number of restarts i banged the laptop on the table when it was starting up, i had to change the Hhd. it just refused to load up.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

... every now and then I have to give it a slap when I first power up to get the fan going it then runs just fine until I power down.
    Funny, that’s what my wife says about me.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

320gb one costs $550 and 640 one costs $1100 according to their website. thats a very high price to pay for a Hard disk.
    Wow... I must have been looking at the wrong sites... newegg.com has a 32gb SSD for $429.99

here is the link to the product... I might be reading this wrong... but if I am not, $550 for a 320gb model is a steal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147021
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I suspect that those are 32.0 and 64.0 there is no way that Alienware would be cheaper than NewEgg.

Anyways, I couldn't find any manufacturer's announcements of solid state drives that big.......... only declarations of intent.

EDIT:

I rest my case:

http://www.alienware.com/press_relea...ress091007.asp

Last edited by nihil; November 28th, 2007 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    I suspect that those are 32.0 and 64.0 there is no way that Alienware would be cheaper than NewEgg.

Anyways, I couldn't find any manufacturer's announcements of solid state drives that big.......... only declarations of intent.

EDIT:

I rest my case:

http://www.alienware.com/press_relea...ress091007.asp

Thanks for clearing that up... they are ungodly expensive... but as with everything else in the tech world, they will come down... I think these will actually be great for mobile users. Lenovo has an accelerometer [like the wii] that pauses reading/writing the HDD when it senses motion, but a lot of manufacturers don't... if the head touches the platter for any duration while it is spinning... bye bye HDD... SSDs will put an end to that risk.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Solid State harddrives

Quote Originally Posted by bagggi
    if anybody could throw more light into the subject....it would be nice.
    Many servers and security appliances use these as a master boot image. If the OS is corrupt the bootloader will then reimage the hard drive with a default image stored on the solidstate HD's.

This is used a lot for Military applications where moving parts and hardware that will be under a lot of vibration or abuse. Quite often used in Tanks, field assesment/communication hardware etc...

Windows Vista now supports them natively for fastbooting/resuming instead of shutting down a system all the way.