Thread: Hard Drive issues

The Recidivist

Hard Drive issues

I purchased a Western Digital HD a few months back and softmodded it for the xbox using Ndure softmod tool with hotswapping. Then installed XBMC so I could use it as a media center.

I just bought the 360 and it has the built in Media Center tool to work w/ xp media center and figured I might as well utilize the WD 160gig in my pc seeing as it only has a 30 now. So I unlocked the HD, removed the partition and went to install XP on it and noticed it was only being detected as a 7.45 gig.

This is the same size as the xbox factory hd therefore what the modding program partitioned it to. The mod takes all space over 8 gigs and creates a G:/ or F:/ which is where you store your movies/games etc.

I have tried several different programs and I am getting only 7.45 gigs available.

Any ideas what I can do?

Ryan

Hmm,

What does your BIOS see it as?

Go to the Western Digital site and get their toolkit. Try wiping the disk totally by overwriting it.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

I don't know how the software you used works, but I would bet it isn't intended to be reversible. I suspect it may have modified the drive's firmware.

The Recidivist
    LOL!!! So, at least I can laugh at myself right? Ready for this?

The harddrive that was 8 gigs really was 8 gigs....

I grabbed the wrong freaking one.

*sigh*

BTW, how ya been nihil?

Ryan
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hey there Ryan! glad ta see ya got ya sorry a$$ back here!

How have you and yours been keeping? We have been just fine over here, but we did have some bad floods in the "summer".................. like this sort of stuff happens once in 150 years!........... didn't come near our place so that must have put an instant $10,000 on the value

Yeah, I know what happens when you don't look carefully. I picked one up for a couple of bucks at a charity yard sale. I was told it was an 8.4........... stuck it in an old PI (replacing the 1.7 that was in there) and found it was actually 14.4. You remember the old 8.4 BIOS restriction?, that was why they thought is was only that size.

I would be interested in an update on what happens when you try the real 160?. My advice is the same, use the HDD manufacturer's toolkit and take the full overwrite option. Hey, on a 160 you will have plenty of time to sink a few beers and take in a game?

Cheers,

Johnno