Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: obtaining IP address from msn messenger

Were you using your current method of connecting to the internet from your current location? If so, you have nothing to worry about as you are effectively anonymous to outsiders anyway.

yh, same current method of connection. By appearing anonymous does that mean he coud not get hold of my IP. whoever it was he had pictures of dead people for his profile and said im next. i just need 2 b assured by u computer wiz's

thanks alot nihil ur a genius

AOs Resident Troll
    I think you should really report the user to MSN........sounds like a fricken wacko.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi, therebel,

Yes, you are protected by "the herd" and your individual identity would be undiscoverable without collusion between your educational establishment and their ISP. So that would restrict it to someone with a subpoena...........not the kind of thing your average sicko would go and apply for........... or be granted.

And that is assuming that everyone is keeping logs to that degree of detail

I agree with MLF that this person should be reported, but unfortunately you have deleted or at least contaminated the evidence. In future I would suggest that you make a note of any person who comes across like this, in particular the dates and exact times.

I am sure that the authorities would be fascinated to go take a look at what he has on his hard drive

The problem with situations like this is judging the right level of response. OK, I suppose that most of these people are actually harmless sick fantacists............... what we have to worry about is the smaller percentage of them that are not?

I am not a criminal lawyer, but in the UK at least, if you were put in fear by this person then they assaulted you, which is a criminal offence, otherwise called a felony in some countries.

thanks alot nihil ur a genius
    Not really, just somewhat experienced and very sympathetic. We don't like the kind of behaviour that you have described on this site and will help to the best of our abilities.

Might I suggest that you stick around and browse through the tutorials and posts to beef up your knowledge of personal security?

Cheers

unless your click on an unique, server url that person administers. Or a torrent where you are the only peer.

I'd like to add a little bit more to this post that hopefully might ease some of your worries a little... If for some possible way he did get your IP address from what Nihil says and I could be reading this incorrectly it soulds like you might be on a college campus or some school campus, if thats the case most Colleges have their own IP block and from that he could narrow down your location to the city you live in. as far as if your just connected direct to an ISP.. most ISP's assign blocks of IP's to each city they service and from their again he could narrow it down to the city you live in but thats about it. the other thing is... did you setup an MSN profile that shows your personal information on it and make it public. If so then he could get your info that way... anyway hope that helps ease some worry a little.
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

I think we had sort of covered #1 (although not clearly defined what would be a qualifying link), but #2 is an interesting addition in that it brings in the torrent concept.