Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniffing networks

Quote Originally Posted by johntuan
    Do you usually do ip lookups on every new forum member? Thanks for your help though I have tried google and yes sifting through vast information available on the internet is kind of difficult to find exactly what I need.
    It makes me feel safe that someone is looking over me =)
    and I am sure it was just to help prove his point that if you want something you will have to find it yourself sorta thing...

Johntuan my man, There is a lot of good advice in this topic and links to reference that you obviously didn't read. Take the time to read each link and follow the given advice. It is all really good advice..... well...maybe not *all* the advice, but most of it!
    I AM... THE WOLFMAN!!
    The Wolfman's Homepage: http://www.fangtastic.org
    Do you dig the Wolfman?? Sign his Ghoulbook or listen to him Howl

And this is part of the reason that hackers have gotten a bad name. In the old days we were thrilled to find new tools and learn all the different ways to use them. I remember collecting every text phile that i could get my hands on. Sitting and reading through all of them, replicating what I had read until I understood the why of it all. Not now. Now all of them want someone to tell them what to do step by step, they don't even care why.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    When I sniff myself, people usually give me funny looks...
    I need to comment on this post, everytime I read this comment I can't help but laugh out loud (LOL).
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

OK:
    Do you usually do ip lookups on every new forum member?
    Errrr, Yes! (and a lot more ) have you seen any adverts for drugs or sex sites here? Administrators and moderators do take their roles seriously.

Now, you have:

It is now December 2007, and you joined nearly three and a half years ago, before making your first post? And you seriously expect me not to do some basic checking?............... errrr.............. is that really your account, or did you just find it on a second user machine, for example? I wonder about your comment "new user"?

I had no clue i had an account on here until i tried recently to register. But I think i vaguely recall that this forum is better than it was back then.

And this is part of the reason that hackers have gotten a bad name. In the old days we were thrilled to find new tools and learn all the different ways to use them.
    He never used the H-word. The term "hacking" is used to make computer related tasks seem exciting to children. And people who call themselves hackers do so because it sounds more hip than computer hobbyist or whatnot. In other words, having a interest in computers isn't good enought for them so they aspire to "be something" in return.
    I remember collecting every text phile that i could get my hands on. Sitting and reading through all of them, replicating what I had read until I understood the why of it all.
    I don't have to point out the fact that you where holding yourself back all along. Anyone really interested in a subject would probably go straight to the most dry but detailed technical resource they could find as opposed to "philes". What you're saying seems highly counter-intuitive to what you're complaining about.

http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=276031&page=4

Implement the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Empire
    He never used the H-word. The term "hacking" is used to make computer related tasks seem exciting to children. And people who call themselves hackers do so because it sounds more hip than computer hobbyist or whatnot. In other words, having a interest in computers isn't good enought for them so they aspire to "be something" in return.I don't have to point out the fact that you where holding yourself back all along. Anyone really interested in a subject would probably go straight to the most dry but detailed technical resource they could find as opposed to "philes". What you're saying seems highly counter-intuitive to what you're complaining about
    I'm sorry when I started out, hacker basically was just a term for someone that wanted to learn all they could about the inner workings of computers, their applications, and most anything else electronic (My neighbor was a great ham radio hacker but died a few years ago, he could cobble all kinds of stuff together). Perhaps for you it meant something else. I was unaware of some relationship to the titillation of children so will take your word for that as you may have more experience in that area. Also back then there wasn't all that many dry technical resources available at least to people in rural parts of the country. So downloading text files off of some BBS was about all we had. Many of those files were very informative. I am not sure how much I held myself back. I went to college took some CS course, that was back in the punch card days, learning Pascal, some Assembly and Lisp on a mainframe. I think my first computer then was an Atari 800XL. I am sure you and everyone else on here are much more knowledgeable than I am as I did not stay in that field professionally. I know the scene is a lot different now than it is today. No one wanted to steal anything or break anything. So the meaning of the word has changed for some people.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

I know the scene is a lot different now than it is today.
    Once agian, having a computer related hobby is one thing but I don't feel the need to be something or be apart of anything. Scenes are for hipsters.

http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=276031&page=4

Also back then there wasn't all that many dry technical resources available at least to people in rural parts of the country. So downloading text files off of some BBS was about all we had.
    Yes, I can remember the days of 9,600 and 14,400 baud dial-up connections and BBSes

Another thing is that textbooks tend to be outdated even when they are first published. BBS and monthly enthusiasts' magazines were the only way to stay reasonably current, and find out what fellow enthusiasts were up to.

I'm sorry when I started out, hacker basically was just a term for someone that wanted to learn all they could about the inner workings of computers, their applications, and most anything else electronic
    That isn't quite the definition I would use. The "hacker" already had above average knowledge and was capable of being innovative rather that just following textbook solutions. What some people describe as "thinking outside the box".

Sure, that means you are permanently in experimentation and learning mode.

Or, in my case: