Thread: VPN explanation

VPN explanation

Hi guyz,

i wanted to know detials about this hot spot shield used for saving the highly restricted details as mentioned on the website link below

http://anchorfree.com/downloads/hotspot-shield/

plz explain this to me

how does this work?
    how does it changes the IP address
    how do we secure ourself from this??
    etc etc.....

Thanks and regards

KK
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

AOs Resident Troll
    Can you post a quote from the site as to what you are talking about...
    I usually dont click on links....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hotspot Shield creates a virtual private network (VPN) between your laptop and the wireless router. This impenetrable tunnel prevents snoopers and hackers from viewing your email, instant messages, credit card information or anything else you send over a wireless network. Which means you remain anonymous and protect your privacy.

This is a quote from the website but I dont see how it would work unless the router your connecting to will accept a VPN connection. since a VPN connection requires Bi-Directional association. Unless there is some new VPN technology that im unaware of.
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

AOs Resident Troll
    and I thought it was a VNP

not only do they offer a VPN....

AnchorFree, a company in Sunnyvale, Calif., that is two and a half years old, has introduced a service that lets merchants of any size — from a large bookstore chain to a mom-and-pop restaurant — offer free advertising-supported Wi-Fi to customers on the store premises. People who are shopping or eating in an AnchorFree location will see banner ads on their screens or short video spots or both before their browsing session.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/bu...=1&oref=slogin

I guess the best way to secure yourself from them is not to connect to thier network.

Also...I am sure if you connect....your are assigned an IP address

AFAIK...it would probably work like any other network.

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; November 30th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Im not sure how that makes sense... how can you create a vpn between a wireless device and a WAP unless the router supports VPNs...

Hi guyz,

well i will like to post this to you that it also works with wired network as i have tried in cafes for the same and it also works as a proxy the IP changes (i mean its sort of anonymizer) but it keeps the track and logs of the IP address which is using Hotspot Shield

ne ways this is just a information to clear the doughts in my members mind that it is not only functioning with wi fi but also works with a wired network

ne ways my question is not answered in this link
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/bu...=1&oref=slogin

else it just gives some infromation about anchor free plan of earning revenue concept

ne ways i wanted to know how is this all working how do that connects

i m sorry if i m not able to explain the same to u but if needed clarification plz post further

Regards
    KK

Hi KK,

I am a hater of acronyms, but I had to correct your one in the title because MLF told me to

Sorry I cannot offer any technical help, not my subject at all..................

Johnno

Hi nihil

i nihil when i started this topic i was knowing much about it but when i saw the poeples view i have generated more interest in this topic

well actually if we go deeper its basic target is to prevent u from the local wifi station and to not to get into their network and secure your data and details from them

but more cursious is that how does that work on the wired station and even if it works and how does it makes u a proxy?

well i will post more if its turning a difficult session but then it would take time to me to collect the stuff

but i would really appreciate if i get some help

and more important infromation on this HSS(Hot Spot Shield)

bcoz it is also available not only on anchor free but also on other web site

MLF have really posted a very nice quote above

if u can put mre details plz

How HSS works?

Captive and Premium Online Advertising “Real Estate!”

Advertising on the AnchorFree Hotspot Media Network is easy and simple to reach the right target … at the right place … at the right time with your advertising message.

Step 1 : The AnchorFree Doorway Video | Ad
    Be seen at the beginning of each Wi-Fi Hotspot user’s session

As each user starts a session at an AnchorFree Hotspot, a Doorway Video or Display Ad for your brand appears. Prime online advertising real estate that’s certainly captive and attention-getting. Interstitial, video, static or lead gen, the Doorway page gives you the flexibility to tailor your first impression.

Helpful hint: The Doorway Video is an excellent opportunity to use any of the latest video technologies. Bring your message to life through sound and motion using Eyeblaster, …

Step 2: The AnchorFree Persistent Digital Browser Billboard
    On every page … across all browsers … and always on top … guaranteed!

After the Doorway page, the subsequent web pages that a Hotspot user views showcases the ever-present, AnchorFree Persistent Digital Browser Billboard. With guaranteed top-of-browser placement on each and every page, this premium advertising space gives your message “top-of-mind” presence during each user’s Hotspot session. (And yes, we’ve even made the Persistent Digital Browser Billboard user-friendly, giving Wi-Fi users the opportunity to close the Banner with each page view.)

Creative jumpstart: Use the AnchorFree Persistent Digital Browser Billboard to sequentially tell a story for your brand. From a simple tease to a complete storyline, use a series of static or animated banners to showcase your brand’s personality for a more memorable Hotspot user experience page after page.
    Last edited by kingkong; December 3rd, 2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Some information as promised