Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearing the registry

Hmmmm,

1. What happens if you let Windows manage it?

2. After you entered your values you did remember to click the "set" button didn't you?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Yes I have done both of those
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Well if you let Windows manage the pagefile and it tells you there isn't one, It sounds as if it is corrupted.

Two things to try:

1. go into "performance Options" and set minimum and maximum to zero then reboot.

2. Set the pagefile to clear on shutdown:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834

If that doesn't work and given your other problems I think that a format and reinstall is the next logical move.
    Last edited by nihil; December 5th, 2007 at 09:34 AM.

you could try "tune up utilities"

will be able to get it at http://www.tune-up.com/

you get a 30 day full program trial. see if it fixes this.

if it works and you like it...........after 30 days just uninstall and install again.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

May be grasping at straws here, but have you run a full Scandisk? Thinking along the lines that your HDD may have physical corruption and may be unusable. If that is indeed the case, the same problems will continue to resurface. The upside is you get to buy a newer, faster, bigger HDD, the downside is that you have to start over from scratch (not a good idea to image a swamped OS).

Good luck.

O
    Last edited by Ouroboros; December 5th, 2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: incomplete
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Tune up utilities is one of the programs which refuse to delete.

I bought Registry repair Pro just to clean up my registry. IT has however the problems still persist.

Thank you for all your help. If you think of anything more please just post it here.

Otherwise I think a reformat and new HDD is in the lines.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Save your licensing info from 3B for the Registry Repair Pro, first and foremost, it is still usable when you reload.

It seems that biting the bullet and picking up a new HDD is the best course of action in your case, Cider. It sucks to have to start fresh, but it's how I've learned how things work and what to watch out for. I've done it many times in the past 10-12 years.

Not sure how things work there in S.A., but I picked up a 160GB HDD here in the states for $75 USD. More than enough space for the casual user.

There is always a time when it's easier to just hit the metaphorical "reset" button and start fresh instead of fighting problems until you're blue in the face while getting nowhere with it.

Good luck.

O
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

a new hhd is not required.

as you said you already had the system working since over a year now, till recently it stopped updating/installing/removing programs.

how far back did it stop doing all that?

maybe some program changed a couple of settings. p2p programs and torrent clients have been known to change settings, specially the ports used to connect to internet with.

options:-
    1) you can use the option to "repair windows" from the bootup xp cd. that way your files will not be deleted. After running the scan disk as recommended by Ouroboros

2) just go for a clean installation. that way before windows are installed, the setup "checks" the disk and re-allocates bad sectors (if any)

3) get into safe mode as recommended by nihiland t34b4g5 and start removing everything till you just have the windows (disconnected from the internet, obviously)
    restart and see if the problem arises again.

if it does then format and reinstall windows
    if it doesnt then its probably one of the programs.

just another thing.....have you ever got one of those blue screens which says something like "some error has happened and windows were shutdown to protect blahblah blah" kinds
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Hi Cider,

I am not sure about the HDD, but it certainly seems like you have some corruption of your Windows installation.

If Windows cannot recognise the page file, that can cause all sorts of problems, which could be pretty unpredictable.

What make of HDD is it? I would certainly go to the manufacturer's website and get their diagnostics tools. See if they find any physical problems with the drive. If they do then it is time to get a new one pronto. You will need to run the in depth scan.

As for the page file, try the two suggestions I gave you earlier. If that doesn't work then create a small partition of say 3Gb. Go into control panel and set the path for the pagefile to point to this partition, then reboot.

That should force the system to build a totally new pagefile that should be recognised.

I will do everything suggested.

Nihil: I went to maxtors site and downloaded their diagnostic utility as you suggested however the problem of installing is still the same.

I have attached a screenshot of the error I get while trying to install.

Thanks.

Wierd isnt it

Sorry about the attachment quality, was in a rush.
    Last edited by Cider; August 7th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
    Albert Einstein