Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vista DRM change?

will also say that if the OS provided by microsoft wasn't so blasted expensive as a standalone purchase I would have 30 or 40 legitimate copies of Windows OS disks because of the amount of PCs I've had over the years
    I don't think that the price of MS software is an excuse to use a pirated version of it...if someone can't afford it then they don't use it, especially as there is a plethora of alternative Operating Systems around that cost the price of a CD to use.

I don't think that the price of MS software is an excuse to use a pirated version of it...if someone can't afford it then they don't use it, especially as there is a plethora of alternative Operating Systems around that cost the price of a CD to use.
    The problem with alternative OS solutions is the learning curve.

Its not so bad when you have a younger mind that can adapt without force, but for many people that learned Windows - then went to an alternative, the change is so drastic that they'd rather go for the comfort of what they know- even if that means they do it illegally.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting priacy, I'm just saying that if the OS wasn't the single most expensive component in the PC that less piracy would occur as a result.

I feel that we are now drifting into some sort of moral debate.

My original comments were more directed at the economic aspects of the situation and the dilemma that it presents to legitimate vendors.

In a perverse sort of way they seem to be victims of their own commercial "success".

1. They cannot employ differential pricing because of the problem of "grey imports".

2. They cannot globally reduce prices because they are capitalist organisations and have stockholders.

3. They can't buy the legislators or influence the courts because the countries involved are hardly staunch allies. Anyway, pirated software sold in the local marketplace is actually good for that country's economy, so there is no political motivation to stop it.

4. The local populace are so used to the same product dirt cheap that it is almost a part of their culture to buy it.

Agreed, we've moved from the fiscal to the philosophical.