Thread: Logmein.com Is this secure ?

Logmein.com Is this secure ?

Hi guyz,

i know this link which allows us to share the desktop to other does not even care for the distance but u are able to do what so ever u would like to

ne ways the Main Part of this is
    How does this works?

where as for testing i actually tried to load in my comp and finally i intructed the same thing to one of my frd sitting in some other place in other country

and finally after sharing the password we were actually able to acess the desktop of each other and i was actually able to uninstall some of his softwares and vice versa

but after all this R & D i finally uninstall this software from my comp 1 week ago and today morning that is after 8 days i saw that this software is still on my comp and enabled how was that possible?

No one else knows my password of my comp and far away no one knows about logmein.com

What i want is!
    1) Small discussion on logmein.com and explaination
    2) How did it stayed after uninstalling the program andalso got enabled in the task manager?

Here is the link for the remote acess logmein.com
    https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en

Regards

KK
    Last edited by kingkong; December 5th, 2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Adding the link
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

1. Logmein is really intended for home and travelling workers to be able to access their main computing resources.

You connect to Logmein and they validate your identity and provide a supposedly secure connection to your target machine.

2. A lot of applications don't uninstall completely because they load on Windows start-up.

Try this:

1. Boot into safe mode and look at your running applications. If it is there, kill it.

2. Look in your startup folder and see if it is there. If it is then delete the entry.

3. Look at your programs folder and see if it is there, and if there is an uninstall option. If the answer is "yes" then uninstall it. Reboot even if it does not ask you to.

4. Run the Windows add/remove programs utility to see if there is anything left.

5. Get CCleaner and run it. Use the programs removal tool to see if there is anything there and the Registry cleaning tool.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    ... You connect to Logmein and they validate your identity and provide a supposedly secure connection to your target machine.
    I've heard many say just how useful and safe this facility is, but I've always been rather suspicious of logging into a third party and have traffic pass through them. If I did use Logmein, I would never convey anything of a confidential nature - just in case. Am I being paranoid or realistic?

Hi, Ignatius,

I've heard many say just how useful and safe this facility is, but I've always been rather suspicious of logging into a third party and have traffic pass through them. If I did use Logmein, I would never convey anything of a confidential nature - just in case. Am I being paranoid or realistic?
    Well, we login to our ISPs? but use VPN and secure connections for confidential stuff. I guess it is all down to a matter of trust in the end.

Basically there is no such thing as "safe", only relative degrees of insecurity. Like yourself, I am sceptical, but I haven't heard any horror stories yet. I am not certain of their architecture, but I would imagine that it is pretty secure as all they seem to be doing is authenticating a connection and passing data.

I would have thought that there was a far greater probability of a compromise at the connecting machines ends than in the connection and transport process. There might even be the scenario where you are lulled into a false sense of security............ like you believe that the connection is secure but one of the machines is owned

Having worked for a number of years in the defence sector I can tell you that you are not allowed to send any secret material over the internal general network, and most certainly not over a public internet link. So I guess it all depends on how you define "confidential"?

Hi nihil,

U are at the right point

but to tell u frankly i removed logmein though a uninstaller only and it did said as logmein uninstalled but i was still able to find that software in startup

i.e. Start+run -> msconfig -> startup and i saw logmein (enabled)

well that was not the only shock but the real shock is that its still there in the system which does not shows in the add/remove program

ne ways tomorow i m going to try it out with the safe mode thing u told

by that time regards
    Kingkong
    Last edited by kingkong; December 6th, 2007 at 05:30 AM.
    Question is not "Why are you Online"
    Question is "Why are you Off line"

Hi KK,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I am sure you will find that the application no longer runs, as most of its files and programs will have been removed.

What is left are files and settings that were actually running at the time you ran the uninstall.

If you follow my suggestions and don't find anything, then just search for logmein and delete the folder and entries in the startup folder.

Here are some detailed instructions on manual removal:

http://www.securemost.com/articles/rm_logmein.htm
    Last edited by nihil; December 6th, 2007 at 09:37 AM.