Thread: Samsung R20 Notebook Memory Upgrade

Samsung R20 Notebook Memory Upgrade

Hello Everybody,

I am a novice computer hardware person, but learning a little more everyday. I bought a Samsung R20 notebook a few months ago and think it is quite satisfactory. The RAM is the only component that I would like to upgrade, but have been confused on what the real parts I need are. The tag on the box used this exact line to describe the memory, "1GB DDR (512M D5 + 512M D5)". So from that I have figured that it must have two DDR memory slots each with a 512 in it. Here is where I became confused! Crucial.com states a money back guarantee that their advisor tool will configure the right memory for a certain computer. The advisor suggests I put in DDR2 sticks, which from what I have read elsewhere are not compatible (DDR & DDR2). Here is the page after going through the 3 step advisor tool. Can somebody please help me find the correct RAM for my machine? I greatly appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Matty

Hi Matty,

You can generally trust what Crucial tell you, they don't give a guarantee for nothing you know

Your machine takes DDR-2 memory. The "D5" is merely a revision number.

Yup the easy way to tell what your computer can take for memory is going to crucial.com and finding your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Who
    Hello Everybody,

I am a novice computer hardware person, but learning a little more everyday. I bought a Samsung R20 notebook a few months ago and think it is quite satisfactory. The RAM is the only component that I would like to upgrade, but have been confused on what the real parts I need are. The tag on the box used this exact line to describe the memory, "1GB DDR (512M D5 + 512M D5)". So from that I have figured that it must have two DDR memory slots each with a 512 in it. Here is where I became confused! Crucial.com states a money back guarantee that their advisor tool will configure the right memory for a certain computer. The advisor suggests I put in DDR2 sticks, which from what I have read elsewhere are not compatible (DDR & DDR2). Here is the page after going through the 3 step advisor tool. Can somebody please help me find the correct RAM for my machine? I greatly appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Matty
    I found this memory on newegg and the details look the same, but if somebody could verify this I would appreciate it.
    Crucial says for an R20:
    Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200,DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
    I would like to order from newegg:
    Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory Model KVR667D2S5K2/2G - Retail

Will this Kingston memory work/be compatible with my R20?

Thank you everybody for your help!

Will this Kingston memory work/be compatible with my R20?
    No, I don't think so.
    Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory
    I do not believe that your R20 supports dual channel memory.