Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista, IE7, and Outlook Exchange 2003

Hybrid View

Windows Vista, IE7, and Outlook Exchange 2003

My company uses exchange 2003 for our webmail.

I use a Vista machine with IE7 in protected mode to check my mail from home, and a XP sp2 machine on a corporate network @ work.

@Home I have one problem, I can't reply to any mail, the text field for the entry of text on replies (or any text entry anywhere) is seen as a red X (image not available)

I've talked to coworkers with Vista, and we all have the same problem.

In short, I know that the problem is with the combination of Vista and IE7. As IE7 on XP doesn't cause the problem (that I've seen.)

Does anyone know of a solution?

----

Firefox does allow me to reply, but I can't see mail in anything other than my Inbox, and I have email divided into folders for the group or person that sends me the mail, so this is a problem for reading.

I haven't checked on Opera or my Wii, but I feel like a jackass checking corporate emails on a videogame system.

Hmmmm,

1. Does IE7 and XP work from home?
    2. Does Vista and IE7 work in the Office?
    3. Does FireFox work in the Office?

Please try:

1. Opera
    2. The thingy (Wii?)

I feel like a jackass checking corporate emails on a videogame system.
    Nonsense! that is the sort of thing I would expect your dad to say...........me, I wouldn't even have thought of doing it!

It is a perfectly valid and rather innovative diagnostic procedure.

I suspect that it is rather more than Vista/IE7 as Firefox is not fully functional either. There seems to be some sort of connectivity issue as well?

AOs Resident Troll
    I use a Vista machine with IE7 in protected mode
    Its gotta a be a permissions thing...

Try with an admin account and see if it works.... also check the vista firewall

Sorry...dont know much about vista....just some ideas

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi MLF,

By "connectivity" I was also thinking "permissions"............. that is why I was asking for a comprehensive test of as many combinations as possible, but remaining non-committal, as we Limeys do

I find this interesting, and potentially very useful. The only Vista users I encounter at the moment are home or SOHO types, and have not had this problem.

AOs Resident Troll
    Probably some new "security" feature

I have heard the lessor versions are missing features...that were standard with previous MS OSes

and you only get these "features" with the full product-Ultimate

My hunch is Vista is blocking something...IE version for Vista also has added "features"

Maybe try and lower the security settings in IE....or try adding the remote site to the trusted sites....

That is why I suggested the admin account.

This reminds me of the arguement "do we allow security to reduce functionality."

My new lappy came with XP Pro...

Phew..........

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; December 18th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I don't have an XP machine at home to try it from, I can attempt with a 2k machine however.

Vista Ultimate and IE7 I can try to see if its something missing in the Home Premium distro I use.

I could try rebooting into Fedora also, and see if its there.

Vista and IE7 does not work, period.

I can read, but cannot reply. At work if I'm on a vista machine I have to log into a XP machine to do webmail stuff. I don't have access to use my Vista machines and Outlook as the install of office we're using is a corporate key, blah blah... And I'd rather own my own discs.

I apologize if I'm not making much sense in this post, my 2yr old daughter is running around screaming at the top of her lungs for mommy, and mommy just went to the store.

Anyhow...

I can try Fedora, and the Wii.

I don't have an XP machine to try it on, but tomorrow I can try a coworker's Vista Ultimate and Win2k machines.

EDIT------

Ok, everything works as its supposed to on the Wii.

Typing is slow with point and click, but intelligent autofinish helps. and the resolution on the TV isn't as sharp as my nice samsung widescreen monitor.

I don't understand why it works on the Wii but not my Vista machine.
    Last edited by zallison; December 19th, 2007 at 12:29 AM.

This is a known problem.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...16/431521.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911829

Your IE6 installation has activeX control for editing HTML enabled. This is disabled in Vista/IE7.

There are a couple of different fixes, but I'm pretty sure the real fix is loading the new HTML editor onto your exchange server.

Our webmail (exchange 2003) has an option for Premium or Basic login, and on my vista machine, I can only reply/send if I choose Basic (premium is default).
    Hope this helps
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

this does help, I can now respond. but I now have to learn my way around it again.

As far as installing the update on the exchange server, I dont' think the IT crew in the corporate offices are gonna do that anytime soon. As far as they're concerned, I should be using Xp at home.

Typical "VISTA BAD, LINUX GOOD" mind sets from those people.

Sorry, its my job to troubleshoot Windows Vista machines, I think I'd like to know how to run the damn OS.

Premium or Basic login
    This will work as well. The fix that I posted will allow a "premium" client experience on Vista/IE7.

The basic client interface is for clients like mozilla, safari, that don't support those specific activeX controls as they are not W3C standard controls.

Quote Originally Posted by zallison
    this does help, I can now respond. but I now have to learn my way around it again.

As far as installing the update on the exchange server, I dont' think the IT crew in the corporate offices are gonna do that anytime soon. As far as they're concerned, I should be using Xp at home.

Typical "VISTA BAD, LINUX GOOD" mind sets from those people.

Sorry, its my job to troubleshoot Windows Vista machines, I think I'd like to know how to run the damn OS.
    Sounds like your company needs to adopt some standards on what should and should not be used. This way if you have a person that likes something in particular you don't end up doing what they want. If the official stance is you should be running XP at home, then you have your answer as to why it doesn't work.

You always gotta patch exchange....else it just doesnt work properly
    In a lot of cases that is true. You need to have different versions of components loaded to insure compatibility with all of the different possible client versions. We don't run the exchange software patch I posted as IE7 on vista is not a supported option for clients. If somebody calls one of our helpdesks with this problem as soon as Vista/IE7 is mentioned they would get referred to our "what is approved software in the company" site.

Lack of good controls on what is approved like this is one reason I don't think I could ever work in your typical small shop.