Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Port Problem...

Possible Port Problem...

Okay I didn't really look into this much, mainly because it was new years eve and I had a party to go to but; my friend just got this computer and said he can get online just fine and download stuff like aim (Aol Instant Messenger) and Limewire just fine...
    When he goes to use the programs they won't connect.

any ideas before I go over there?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Firewall ?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Yeah, sounds like Windows Firewall is probably blocking them.

well he had windows 2000 and it wouldn't work, then he installed windows xp with zonealarm and turned off windows firewall... when he goes to connect through aim (for example) the zonealarm catches it and askes to accept or deny and he will click accept and it will go to configuring then kick him back like it couldn't connect...

this is something that probably got covered in your investigation but ill ask anyway. is he going through a router? are his settings DHCP or Static.. specifically for DNS?
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

load up wireshark and watch the packets. It's possible that the problem is not on his side, but lies with his ISP. Im sure you heard of the whole issue with comcast throttling bittorrent traffic and injecting reset packets to break the connection. Well, before that whole fiasco, other companies such as Cox have been blacklisting individual users from such services. I have two friends that have had this happen, one used limewire to download like crazy and he can no longer connect. He gave up and just dealt with it. The other called them up and he said they told him he was blocked from those services for downloading copyrighted media. He explained to them that he had an open access point and would lock it down, so they turned it back on for him.

An easier thing to do than watching the wire would be to just take your laptop over there and try to connect to the same services. See what happens...

I haven't got around to investigating it yet, just what he has told me... Ill add that to the list of things to check out. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xiphias360
    An easier thing to do than watching the wire would be to just take your laptop over there and try to connect to the same services. See what happens...
    Yeah, I thought about that too, but he said his girlfriends laptop can connect through aim and everything just fine...

Okay I finally got around to looking at his setup. (lets start from the OS)
    He got a hold of a warez'd XP (black edition) did a clean install
    He can get on the internet and not on Limewire or aim
    He is using a motorola SBG900 and an everyday router so the network setup looks something like this:

{M}--[R]---(C)

Here is what I have tried:
    Port scan---Everyone that should be open is (including the one to connect to limewire)
    I tried bypassing the router and plugging it straight into the modem
    I tried to port forwarding
    couldn't get any of this to work, so I tried replacing his computer with my laptop, and everything worked fine, limewire and aim no problem, I checked all my ports and came up just the same as his...
    I checked the firewall (zonealarm Pro) and both apps had access
    Windows firewall is not running...

Hopefully someone can tell me what is going on here because I am having a hard time figuring this one out.

thanks in advance

He got a hold of a warez'd XP (black edition)
    ?

Limewire or aim
    ?

Who gives a feck?............. I certainly don't

This is supposed to be a professional site ArPaNET, please take your lame questions elsewhere (and read our terms and conditions).

subject closed...... we do NOT support pirated software........... anybody want to argue with that?