Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM Thinkpad T60 - No Sound

IBM Thinkpad T60 - No Sound

I have been working on this piece of crap ALL DAY to no avail, and even though we're under warranty, IBM still won't talk to me without paying $99 since "the software isn't under warranty" and they're "99.9% sure it's not a hardware problem". Nice. So I'm gonna hit you guys up instead.

Laptop has no sound whatsoever. Ok, it breaks down thusly:

1) I'm on a DEADLINE. I have to find the magic fix within the next 15 hours or so.
    2) Laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T60.
    3) Fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2.
    4) Have Googled the crap out of this to discover lots of people have the same problem.
    5) Installed this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-62855
    6) Installed this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-64133 (note 888111).
    7) Enabled System Sound in BIOS.
    8) Enabled modem in BIOS (believe it or not this has supposedly fixed the problem for some folks).
    9) Uninstalled and reinstalled driver again.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No sound. However, if I press the volume hot keys, it does show the volume bar adjusting accordingly on screen, though nothing audibly actually happens. Woohoo.

Sorry, I'm grumpy.

Any ideas guys?

AngelicKnight - I work for IBM supporting thinkpads. I might be able to pry some info out of one of the LEL agents [lenovo experts live] ... I cannot make any promises though... I am extremely new... [I can assure you that I was not the person you talked to though if you give me their name, I will kick them in the ass for you...] I will see what I can do... my trainer is extremely cool, and he is always willing to help with any tech issue, work related or not... sorry for your trouble... thank you for calling lenovo is there anything else I can do to make sure that you are Extremely satisfied with your support or overall service request? ... please don't kill me.

edit:

few more questions.

did the agent give you a reason why they thought this was not hardware related?

has the sound ever worked? if so, when did it stop.

what kind of warranty is it? on site or the mail in depot warranty?

there hasn't been any physical damage to the machine has there? liquid, drop etc?

you might try booting from a live cd such as ubuntu or whatever... if there is sound in there, it probably is software... if there is no sound, it is more than likely hardware.

also, if you call back, this conversation never happened, unless you talk to me...
    Last edited by westin; December 6th, 2007 at 12:58 AM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

westin, I LOVE YOU.

If you can get some input from him that would be incredibly helpful.

I'm going to be sitting here refreshing the page while working through the night here.

well... don't sit refreshing the page... I don't go back in until 7:30am eastern... ... I have no way of contacting him but by email... and he doesn't check his work email except at work... I edited my original post... didn't know if you noticed...

westin
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

OK AK,

Quick answers to save me looking, and I can't remember what models are for IBM.

1. Are the speakers external or on the lappy?
    2. If they are on the box, are they inside the body or on the screen (front or back, doesn't matter).
    3. Does it have connections for external speakers? (typically, three little jack plug holes).
    4.Does it make any noise........... like one BIOS beep on bootup?

"the software isn't under warranty"
    What software?

99.9 % certain................not good enough for a court............ that's reasonable doubt

did the agent give you a reason why they thought this was not hardware related?
    Based upon what I described to the previous tech, that's all...

has the sound ever worked? if so, when did it stop.
    Dunno, I'm wondering that myself. New job, so laptop's been here longer than I have. Given these laptops rotate, I at least think we would know by now if there was an audio problem prior. But in short -- dunno.

there hasn't been any physical damage to the machine has there? liquid, drop etc?
    Nope.

1. Are the speakers external or on the lappy?
    No external speakers...

2. If they are on the box, are they inside the body or on the screen (front or back, doesn't matter).
    Actually these are underneath the front of the laptop.

3. Does it have connections for external speakers? (typically, three little jack plug holes).
    4.Does it make any noise........... like one BIOS beep on bootup?
    One jack marked mic, one marked headphones.

Let me reboot again to see if it beeps, I can't recall...

/edit -- No beep.
    Last edited by AngelicKnight; December 6th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.

Right,

It sounds as if your speakers are underneath the front body of the laptop......... like you can't remove them? They will be using an onboard audio chipset that may well have blown.

Please connect some headphones and see if you "hear the voices" ......... try an old fashioned audio CD and then edit system sounds and hit the "test" button on a few.

And this would be the one time I can't find headphones anywhere...

Them little ear plug things for a walkman or portable CD/DVD?

If you have some small PC speakers, just try the jack in the earphones socket.

Ok, swiped some speakers from a lady's desktop -- Those work. So external speakers yes, internal no.

Sadly, I don't have spare external speakers I can send with the guy.