Thread: Question on over coming port restrictions

Post Question on over coming port restrictions

Background info: My girlfriend's internet is restricted a little overboard considering she pays the extra at the student flats to be able to use it. She plays an online game with my friends and I but since she moved she hasnt been able to connect, I'm guessing the ports are blocked since both server and client are working fine.

I have looked into proxies but everything really seems to be more about privacy while web browsing. The games config can be set to connect to a different IP and port so I was wondering if there was a way for her client to connect to my laptop at home as a gateway through an open port (such as 80) and I could act as a proxy to allow her to play?

Maybe its stupid to think you can put something else through another port or that a proxy could change the port like that, but I figured it was worth asking.

I know an online game isn't exactly life or death but its a bit of fun and I've tried everything I can think to try.

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if it is 'give up'
    Did someone piss in the gene pool?

Quote Originally Posted by that_is_my_cook
    I have looked into proxies but everything really seems to be more about privacy while web browsing. The games config can be set to connect to a different IP and port so I was wondering if there was a way for her client to connect to my laptop at home as a gateway through an open port (such as 80) and I could act as a proxy to allow her to play?
    Yes it would be possible for your friend to connect to you, you would need to setup a VPN for her to connect to. but this opens up a whole other potential for additional issues. such as she would also be using your external IP and the game may not accept multiple connections from the same IP.

additionaly if she is on a school campus then then she probably has a private IP address and if this is the case then that is probaly the reason she is getting blocked. Your friend could just ask the admin of the network if he could allow them to connect. but they may not do this because they could be limiting sertain types of traffic to conserve bandwith. But in the long run it never hurts to ask
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"