9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 312 ms 311 ms 311 ms jc-in-f99.google.com [64.233.187.99]
    Now that's interesting...Looks like it doesn't get out the front door, then suddenly picks something up way down the line...

Nihil, do you think this looks like the problem is at/near the gateway? I'm thinking it's got to be some piece of equipment there in his building. Definitely test the line.

AK, If I were going to hold a drumhead court martial, with immediate executions, I guess I would shoot the modem/router.

I believe in Service provider line tests because we don't have to do them.......?

After that I would look at internal cabling or WiFi first, I would think?............ cheapest and easiest solution......... hell, you should have a few spares anyways?

My money is on the modem/router though.

Hey, if you set them up wrong, then performance is usually consistently substandard? This is varying? Aaaahh!

NO! NO! NO! .............. my favourite suspect is NOW some scumbag little employee doing P2P, KAZAA, and all that crap. I guess I just flog them to death........... given the recent price increases in 9mm Parabellum

I guess I just changed my mind?
    Last edited by nihil; January 4th, 2008 at 06:28 PM.

I'd definitely agree. I'd say we're down to three possibilities:

1) Bad modem/router.
    2) Bad ISP circuit.
    3) Bad user.

AOs Resident Troll
    Lets not forget #4-

Misconfiguration

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

nihil, my LAN is pure wired...yeah am trying to figure out that p2p thing bcoz one of the computers here does have some limewire/azureus thingy.

my modem/router here was configured by a tech from the ISP we applied for. yes, the modem/router do all the tricks here. even my web server wont go online bcoz it is being intercept by this modem/router.

i did not install this modem/router myself bcoz i dont know their configuration in the first place and i dont have access to it. as to what i've seen during the installation of that tech form the ISP, he logged in 192.168.1.1 through web and i think its the configuration of the modem/router.

it would be easier if they gave me the actual IP address, Gateways, and DNS so that i can configure it on my linux server but they insist that that's the only configuration they have and they dont do it on OS's like linux.

they we're not trained to configure them on Linux.
    .sig na ture.

AOs Resident Troll
    Ok...Is the router plugged into a switch\hub...or does linux box have 2 nics and all traffic is routed through the linux server...then out to the router?

Maybe a DNS issue..

MLF

it would be easier if they gave me the actual IP address, Gateways, and DNS so that i can configure it on my linux server but they insist that that's the only configuration they have and they dont do it on OS's like linux.
    Gaaaah that's evil! If this is a small business network, IMHO you need your OWN router...the only ISP-owned equipment you should have is the modem. That way you can do most everything yourself and not have to rely on the ISP's tech. I'd be going nutty in your shoes.

AOs Resident Troll
    I totally agree with AK...

I have always liked having a router that I can configure...that way I can open and close ports as needed.

Plus the ISPs here know less about the configuration than I do...I just have them supply thier modem\router in bridge mode...

One site owns the modem...already in bridge mode...we just change the router configuration when changing services\ISPs.

MLF

morganlefay: am using windows 2k adv. server for the meantime.
    the actual architechture is this: my server (both linux and windows) does have two NICs, one for the LAN and one for the modem/router. the first NIC which is for LAN is connected to a switch/hub and the other one is for modem/router (solely).

the modem/router is not plugged into a switch or a hub.

using this two NICs, the modem/router is configured to share its internet access using the other NIC which is the LAN.
    .sig na ture.