Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IBM T60 - No Sound, only rare beeps.

OK, I went to device manager. I see Legacy audio drivers, is that what I'm looking for, and if so, I uninstall it, bc I only see 1. and what about audio codecs? I clicked audio driver and it says it's working properly. just a little fyi.
    I don't believe those two are related to what we're working on. I remember them being there on mine and I never messed with them, so I'd say don't bother with them.

That tells me more though -- That means there are no T60 audio drivers installed, which means your tech didn't download and install the right driver or didn't do it properly, but as I noted, with this particular laptop that's an easy mistake to make.
    Last edited by AngelicKnight; January 4th, 2008 at 07:41 PM.

Ok, I'm back, now where was I, lol

Then which driver do I install? I did like 3 or 4 already...does anyone have yahoo messenger or AIM that can help me thru this?

I just installed the adi soundmax driver, i'm gonna shut down and when I turn it back on i hope it works,

Of course, it didn't work, so anymore suggestions, please feel free to run them by me. I am getting frustrated,

Hi there potter~,

If you haven't found a solution please have a look at this for me:

When you boot up you will get some sort of IBM/Lenovo screen I expect? Then you should briefly see an option to go into "setup" or "BIOS" or something. F2, Esc, Delete or something?

Try that and have a look at all the BIOS options.

Hopefully there will be some setting that relates to sound. Enable "onboard sound" or whatever? Just make a note of them and what they are set at....if they are "off" then activate them.

Now go into Windows............. in the Control Panel there should be something like "Sounds & Multimedia Properties" With a sub-option of "Audio" that displays "Preferred Devices". Make sure that those settings match what you actually have.

Sorry I cannot be more precise right now, as I have been working Windows 2000 and Vista since Christmas.

I will try to get an XP box online later today (Saturday)

EDIT:

XP box now up and running

It is "Sounds & Audio Devices" and you need to look at "Audio", "Voice" and "Hardware"
    Last edited by nihil; January 5th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Ok, so I've done everything, I found a million places to download that 8881111 file and I did it and i restarted my computer, it didn't work, I also, shut it and restarted and looked for F2, it never says to hit that, it does say to hit the thinkvantage button tho. and I did and it was stuff like system restore...is there anyone I could mail my laptop to that could help,

Sorry, with the T60 you need to hit the F1 key as soon as the Thinkpad Logo is displayed and that will take you into BIOS setup.

In Windows XP "Sounds & Audio Devices" <Audio> what does it say the "Sound Playback Default Device" is?

Something like Intel AD1981 (possibly 1984?) HD Audio 1.0?

Also, whilst you are there, go into "Advanced Audio Properties" <Speaker Setup> and make sure that you have one of the laptop options selected.

Finally, go into <Hardware>, select each item one by one and click on the "Properties" radio button. Look to see if any of them are reported as having problems.

This is his friend posting, Now its appears we have gotten the sound to work, but now the computer will not boot... getting the blue screen...

when booting in diagnostic mode if errors during the "IBM active protection" step I believe...

any ideas?

-Keegan

Hi there Keegan,

1. What actually got the sound to work?
    2. Does the blue screen give you a message (you might have to go into BIOS and turn off the restart on error option).

Can you get into "diagnostic" or "safe" mode and look at the event logs?........ if so, what messages are there?

Johnno