Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: IBM T60 - No Sound, only rare beeps.

Sorry I didn't jump on this thread sooner, I just glanced at the title, and assumed that it was AK's thread from a month or two ago. Quick question... Is your XP install from one of IBMs recovery cds, or is it a retail version? Even though you are out of warranty, you can purchase a recovery cd from IBM for $45 + S&H ... this will have all of the drivers you need. and if that blue screen is related to a software issue, which I am thinking that it is, the reimaging will fix that too... if you need the cds, just call 800.ibm.serv [800.426.7378] press 1, 1, enter your machine type, and press 1 again. Give the agent the MT and S/N... and when they tell you it is oow, just tell them that you need to purchase RCDs... if you can get it going without these, great! ... but if you really get stuck, you might consider this option. Now if you are running one of IBM's images from a Rec CD, that device should in theory be PnP... so you should just be able to remove the device from dev man, reboot, and the correct driver will be loaded, after the device is detected. Just had a call like that Saturday...
    Last edited by westin; January 7th, 2008 at 02:02 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hi there Keegan,

1. What actually got the sound to work?
    2. Does the blue screen give you a message (you might have to go into BIOS and turn off the restart on error option).

Can you get into "diagnostic" or "safe" mode and look at the event logs?........ if so, what messages are there?

Johnno
    I can't seem to get into either a safe, or diagnostic mode... the blue screen flashes off way faster than i can even read the first line....

To get the sound to work i went into the BIOS and restored the setup defaults...

Try booting into a Windows Live disk and see if you can pull up event logs there...just make sure BIOS is set to boot into the CD drive first.

0x0000007b (0xBACCF524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000)

the blue screen message....

Was that after changing boot order?

If so, restore boot order in BIOS to default, then press F12 at the very first Thinkpad bootup screen and select your device that way.

scratch that, its booting fine again, but no sound... says there is no audio device present...

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Sorry, with the T60 you need to hit the F1 key as soon as the Thinkpad Logo is displayed and that will take you into BIOS setup.

In Windows XP "Sounds & Audio Devices" <Audio> what does it say the "Sound Playback Default Device" is?

Something like Intel AD1981 (possibly 1984?) HD Audio 1.0?

Also, whilst you are there, go into "Advanced Audio Properties" <Speaker Setup> and make sure that you have one of the laptop options selected.

Finally, go into <Hardware>, select each item one by one and click on the "Properties" radio button. Look to see if any of them are reported as having problems.

There are no playback devices, or anything selectable at all under the Audio, Voice, and Hardware tabs...

Dang, I wish I could remember exactly where it is.

It's in BIOS somewhere though, I'm sure of it. I ran into this same issue on yet another T60. I think it reads something like "system audio" give or take a word or two. You want it enabled.

Go through all settings in BIOS...it's in there somewhere.

You said sound came back after resetting BIOS to default? That had to be the setting default reset earlier.

under the device manager--->system devices--->System Speaker, has no driver installed... could this be the problem?

I can't find anything at all related to the word audio under any of the BIOS MENUS
    Main menu shows:
    -Config
    -Date/Time
    -Security
    -Startup
    -Restart
    -HDD Diagnostic program

I am pretty sure I have checked every sub menu I could...