Thread: using 10.0.0.0 network ??

Hybrid View

using 10.0.0.0 network ??

I have just set up Microsoft 2003 small business server which also uincludes exchange server. While setting up i dunno how it picked the DHCP scope setting as

Can I use this setting for the office ? Please help or sshould i change the scope to 192.168.2.0 ?

Technically you can use any IP you want for an internal setup, but if you decide to use anything other than a private IP (below) make sure its not seen by the rest of the world or you'll run into problems.

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
    169.254.0.0 through 169.254.255.255 (APIPA only)
    172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

AOs Resident Troll
    depending on how many nics you have...if you have 2 ...use the 10.0.0.x for internal NIC and the 192.168.0.x for the external connection to the router....that way all traffic is routed through the server...and can be logged and\or you can control who has internet access etc

Tip on the SBS...if you are going to change anything...use the server management console...as the SBS has several backoffice applications...the wizard will ensure settings are rolled down throughout all the applications.

SBS is really easy to break by treating as a plain 2003 server.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    Tip on the SBS...if you are going to change anything...use the server management console...as the SBS has several backoffice applications...the wizard will ensure settings are rolled down throughout all the applications.

SBS is really easy to break by treating as a plain 2003 server.

MLF
    Nice tip. I've only played with the 2003 SBS for a couple of hours when setting up a law firm. I initially tried to configure the server using the mmc snap ins... I found it was just easier to use the wizards. They really do make it "easy" to set up one of those servers.

I have been considering putting in a 2003 SBS server for my home. I guess I should just hold and see if it's worth getting 2008 SBS... Though, after transitioning to Exchange 2008 and testing some of the 2008 Server betas, I'm scared I won't be able to afford the hardware to run it!

Don't even mention their home server... I want nothing to do with it. What crap. (IMO) No directory based authentication, no group policy, no WSUS, etc. I suspect it's because the home based versions of Windows can't join a domain anyway. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's uses... just not on my network.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    I like the SBS 2003....I was thinking of putting one in my home also....but you cannot connect home editions of XP or Vista....so I guess thats why they have the home server...

Not sure what services are offered in the home server....you could probably use a WS OS just as well if it is just shared directories.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

If you're running a bunch of XP/Vista home systems, why use a server? There are fairly decent network storage devices out there. WD's 1TB worldbook comes to mind. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but I imagine it'd be quite a bit cheaper.